Zenith 2572PC Winder Release Problem

Giuseppe

Hello I'm starting to service a vintage zenith with 2572PC movement in it.
First problem is I can't seem to find a way to release the winder.

This apperas to be the simplest type of relese system as a push down bolt is easily spotted.

The point is it just doesn't release and this is where doubts come in...
Am I missing something?

In the attached image I'm trying to show what is unexpected to my unexperienced eyes.

TIA

Giuseppe

2085829657_ZENITH2572PCSTEM.thumb.jpg.22ad8de8f96cdd9c06c46fe65304fad5.jpg

Edited by Giuseppe

2 minutes ago, Watchtime said:

instead of a Cshaped washer, can't it be a kind of clamp, which will turn downwards when you press the release?

Yes, sorry I was missing the riht term.

Clasp, I mean a C shaped clasp.

So it must be removed in order to dismantle the winder?

it seems aplied to the stem and does not move when pushing the push down bolt.

Edited by Giuseppe

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi,    What happens if the C Clamp is pushed away from the stem? Or pushed down directly. 

Haven't tried yet buy I think that Is the way to go.

Is Just that I Haven't seen anything likes this in any video tutorial so I'm a bit araid of Messing up things.

Watchrepairtalk helps to make a repairer out of members, dose not specialize in nor  affiliates with any particulare brand.

If no solution gets set fourth here , I recommend trying forums specializing in zenith as well.

Regards joe

• Like 1

LIt’s not just a matter of corrosion is it? I had a movement a few weeks ago where the stem was so badly corroded to the setting lever and yoke that it took several attempts over about 3 days of applying very small amounts of penetrating oil to that area finally release it. I’m not suggesting WD40 is an accepted way to free rusted components but it worked for me without damage.

Edited by AdamC
Error in text
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Haven't tried yet buy I think that Is the way to go.

Is Just that I Haven't seen anything likes this in any video tutorial so I'm a bit araid of Messing up things.

I agree, you are very right to be extra careful with this, it is a jewel and should be handled with respect. I meant slight push away from the stem and simultaneous push on release botton. Penetrating oil on release botton won,t hurt( small amount) . barrel bridge removal approach beats uncertain approaches.

I am not going back on my recommendation , Forums specializing on zenith.

• Like 1

The pinion you query is the date corrector (part #2544) for the date quickset ... and this has the clip to keep it in place. The shape of the clip means it is actually more commonly referred to as an E circlip as it looks like a rounded E:

image.png.8bd1fc6c0cf86b3ba2e94996628d7e09.png

To remove the circlip you must rotate so the rounded part of it is facing down and you see the two ends facing up towards you. Now with a sturdy pair of tweezers place the tips on each of the circlip ends and push down; the clip will pop off. If you do not have a suitable pair of tweezers you will need to secure the movement whilst you use your hands to push with two small screwdrivers.

You don't often see such circlips in watch movements but they are a common securing mechanism in engineering and I know they can be fiddly so just be steady and patient!

Reassembly is the reverse where you put the rounded part up towards you and push down so the clips 'snap' back onto the relevant groove. A tool like a spring bar remover (i.e. the tool you remove the bars for a watchstrap with) can be useful here as the notch in the blade will resist slipping better than a screwdriver blade.

Hope this helps!

Edited by WatchMaker
  • Thanks 3

Cripes the 'Edit' window on this forum is short! ^_^

To add to my answer on what you need to do I should just make it clear because of your original query that, yes, you have no choice but to remove the circlip if you want to remove the stem! The 2572PC stem has an extra 'notch' in over the 2572 stem for this circlip to secure into and with it in place you cannot remove the stem:

image.png.ccc5f6401d9ae64b7b2635734678928e.png

Once the circlip has been removed you can use the normal stem removal button to get your stem out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1