Elemex 3D44 Quartz movement

davidrrd

Hello everyone.

I took on a little hopeless project for a friend. He gave me a watch that her girlfriend bought at a flea market and was not working. Since the watch is nothing special every watch shop turned him down.

I took it to make a movement swap .... Cheap and straightforward. Found the reference on the movement and bought a new one.... It was easy to find. I received it today and put it back on the watch. With the stem back in place I placed the battery and the movement ticks..... Everything normal.

However when I pulled the stem to set the time the movement stops. Nothing weird there have seen a couple quartz (not sure if all of them) that hack. But when putting the stem back in place it does not run again. Tried it a couple of times with different batteries and the original and the new stem.... And it seems to do the same. So I am curious if there is a problem that I can look for from your experience. Or something I missed when putting the watch back together. Any lead would be greatly appreciated.

First photo is with the new mvt..... The others the old one! 6af4ebe54b53a161830ca1415ac07975.jpgdc85c969ce877a7337ef98ce43c8bdfa.jpg5994510d87375c69bb08e9f5abd7de43.jpg

Did you use the stem from the old movement? Is the new one the exact same caliber? Or did you use the new stem and possibly trim it to length? My first guess is it's slightly too short and it's not going back all the way. Try out of the case.
Thanks for all your answers guys! @nickelsilver that was my first thought. So both movements are the same caliber and the stems look the same. I do not know how it could be shorter since the movement t fits exactly at the same spot through the dial feets. Anyway..... I tried with the new stem as well without trim it without another crown(because I still do not know how to take out the crown to reuse it) and the same happens. And.... The stem holds well in place, change positions normally (as far as I can tell) I can set the time correctly. So that left me clueless.

It is very curious.

Okay..... So after keep looking the movement without a clue on what's going on, I decided to take use a drastic solution : take out the stop lever.
I kept on seeing the way it moves into the second wheel to stop it. It also has a long arm that I guessed make some kind of contact with the battery or the upper bridge that touches the battery (positive (+) pole).
After trying to move it see if I could make it work, without results..... I just took the bridge and took it out (tried it first on the damaged mvt)
Put back the bridge together and it works. Since it is a two hand movement (min-hour) It doesn't really bother I think. I will keep it under observation. Before closing the whole thing again.
It bothers me that I couldn't find the trouble but...... It seems to work!
75e2c6aefb4746fa9ef608e0974f59d6.jpg

• 4 months later...
i have also been given a watch by a friend to look at with the 3D44 but i find it is obsolete at cousins as is the 3D10.is there any movement of any make that will substitute?
Hello there.
I cannot say if there is a substitute .... Need to keep in mind the 3d44 is a two hand movement.
I looked again and you can find them, here in China, on Taobao for really cheap.
Check out on Ali .... You may get lucky since a lot of sellers there are the same.

Good luck
David
949c940e41045cedb86d71eab905c47b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 1:44 AM, davidrrd said:

Hello there.
I cannot say if there is a substitute .... Need to keep in mind the 3d44 is a two hand movement.
I looked again and you can find them, here in China, on Taobao for really cheap.
Check out on Ali .... You may get lucky since a lot of sellers there are the same.

Good luck
David
949c940e41045cedb86d71eab905c47b.jpg

have tried various chinese companies but they seem expensive and some will only sell in large batches.think i will try another movement with the same hand size and if the dial feet do not match i will use dial stickers!B

21 hours ago, watchweasol said:

HI bernie   the elmex 3D10 is the same as the 3D44 in size, dial foot position and hands although the 3D10 USES 3 HANDS see attached catalogue.

Watch Movement Catalog.pdf 2.69 MB · 4 downloads

thanks for that but if i could order one it would not be worth it with the cost of the postage.i will think of something else! B

4 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Bernie   one of the standard replacement units is the ronda 1064 I used one to replace a French eubauches movt 6,3/4x8 using dial stickers as the feet were different, I have a list of the ronda movts some where If I find it I will post it on

Looked on Cousins and found the movement but there are different heights eg 0/1/2.which is suitable? 

On 4/27/2019 at 10:16 PM, watchweasol said:

ELEMEX 3D44       Ricoh - Elemex

Size 6  3/4 X 8mm          Thickness 2.49mm         Hands    2           Batt SR621SW  (364)

The ronda 762 /762H  comes pretty close dial feet probably need cutting off

sorry when i said there are various heights i ment the hour wheel! there are about 4 or 5 different sizes from 0 (standard) upwards.which is closest to the 3D44?B

Hi Bernie      My understanding when they quote overall height it means just that, including the hour wheel.

therfore   a height of 2.50 is from the bottom plate to the hour wheel top. Measure the overall height of the errant elemex and set against the possible replacements for the best choice. wether you will achieve an exact match like for like is un certain it will be a compromise  for best fit.  

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Bernie      My understanding when they quote overall height it means just that, including the hour wheel.

therfore   a height of 2.50 is from the bottom plate to the hour wheel top. Measure the overall height of the errant elemex and set against the possible replacements for the best choice. wether you will achieve an exact match like for like is un certain it will be a compromise  for best fit.  

i thought that,but when i look on Cousins all the 762s are 2.50mm height but quote hour wheel heights from 0.80 1.15 1.55 2.55 and 3.15! confusing or what?