kristofwanderer

Trouble with a Seiko 7t62-0am0 from 2003

Hello,

I recently reacquired a watch I had swapped off to a friend years ago, a Seiko 7t62-0am0 Asymmetry (I believe was the name).  The watch is a quartz movement and is a chronograph.  When I initially bought the watch (new) it was worn gently.  When I traded off the piece it was to a dear friend who tucked it away in a box and essentially forgot about it until recently.  I got the piece back a few weeks ago, had a battery installed at an AD and it worked normally.  After arriving home, I put on the watch and it was functioning normally, except it stopped after about 30 or so minutes.  I took it off thinking it was a faulty battery or connection, but when I looked at it the next day in the display case it was again working.  After repeatedly wearing the watch and removing the watch when it would stop, I have come to believe that my body heat is causing some metal part to expand, thereby making the watch stop.  Could this be the case?  If so, what exactly is the issue (i.e., which part is the culprit)?

*the photo is a stock photo of this model watch*

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Respectfully, 

Dr. C. King

Screenshot_20181115-222053_Chrome.jpg

If you're right, I would guess that there's an internal part that is shorting the battery to the case. You could test for that with a multimeter. Though, that seems unlikely unless something got inside the case. A wonky battery seems more likely to me. If you have an AD in town and they just replaced the battery, I would be inclined to go back to them and describe the symptoms and see if they have any ideas and/or are willing to deal with it. Seems like they'd be at least willing to put in another battery for you, and you'd at least have another data point to work with.

So, I took the watch back by my AD and he said that I'd need to send it back to Seiko because the 2k era quartz movements are notorious for this problem. He did locate some corrosion on one of the battery contacts, but said he couldn't be sure that would cause the problem described. Of course it was working when I left the house, but the temperature difference in the truck caused it to stop. It started ticking again about 4 hours after I put it back in the display case. *sigh*

I'm a bit disappointed with that answer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just noticed your response here, sorry for the delay. You going to send it back to Seiko? I just noticed when browsing Esslinger the other day they have Seiko movements, including a few solar: https://www.esslinger.com/seiko-watch-movements-original/

I wonder how involved a swap would be? Seems like it could be hairy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JayK
      Hello All.
      I'm a fellow watch enthusiast from the North-East of England. I hope everyone is keeping well.
      I recently bought myself a cheap watch repair kit, dusted off the old watch storage box and started to giving my watches the attention they required, it's been going quite well so far but do need some guidance with the correct steps of putting the workings and the case back on for my Accurist GMT Grand Complication, hopefully I will do a separate post on this with pics.
      Anyway hope everyone is having a decent Friday night. 
    • By HectorLooi
      I just received my Seiko 7006A that I bought off ebay. The watch appeared quite nice in the photos, but alas it wasn't in real life.
      The rotor had a "clunking" sound, as describe by the seller. Should be fixable....
      When I opened it up, I couldn't get the movement out from the back. Was it a front loader? The crystal didn't look like it would come off with a crystal lift. After careful examination and prodding around. I managed to pry the movement ring off. Someone had glued the crystal on with so much glue that it seeped under the movement ring.
      When the movement came out, my heart sank. Someone had pried the dial off with so much force that it wrinkled the dial! 
      He even broke 1 dial foot and bent the other.
      But the last straw was when I discovered the mainspring barrel had been damaged!
      I've searched cousins and ebay for a replacement and even a donor movement to no avail.
      Does anyone know if the barrels from other Seiko models will fit a 7006A? Like maybe a 7S26?

• By MrRoundel
      Greetings all. I think I may have made a mistake in buying a GP watch that has the 641-875 quartz movement in it. It's a nice looking watch, with a very solid case, but I didn't find out about the caliber number until after I bought it. The seller did not have an image of the movement. Since I usually like GP movements, I thought it was worth a little gamble on getting it running, even if I had to clean it. After the auction ended I found out about these GP quartz movements that are impossible to get parts for, and that the dead ones usually need a circuit that is made of unobtainium.
      Since the watch had an old battery (Union Carbide brand) in it I figured that I might get lucky and get it running with a fresh battery. I wasn't counting on that happening since the guy who sold it was a watch guy. It would be hard to believe that he didn't at least try a new battery in there. Anyway, it didn't get it running.
      Does anyone know about these rather interesting old quartz movements? I believe it is from the late seventies perhaps? Is there any use in seeing if one of those quartz movement "spinners" could free things up? Unfortunately, it's not like GP provides technical info the way a company like ETA does, so if I take it apart I'll have to take a lot of images as I do. Anyway, any help on this is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. Stay healthy, all. Cheers.

• By x83
      I was given a 1973 seiko lord matic (5600-9001) recently and I am very fond of it. The acrylic is in pretty good condition and the case isn't too scared up. There are only 3 problems with the watch. First, the case is a little bit dirty between the lugs. Second it gains about 15 seconds a day. Thirdly, the original bracelet is too small, so I tried to replace it and found that one of the spring bars is stuck. I don't really know what to do with the watch so I came here to get some advice. Should I take it to a local  jeweler, send it to the seiko service center (probably a bad idea), or try to work on it myself? If there is anyone on the site that is able to work on the watch I would consider that as well.

Thanks in advice for any advice.0
    • By Trevelyan
      Hi,  the bracelet on my SARB033 is a D385-3C,  it's currently too small for me to wear. I have two spare links, but no pins for them. On removing a pin from the bracelet I found it to be nothing like a cotter pin, nor did it appear to be a "pin and tube".   It was more like a pin with a thicker end that was knurled . 
      I'm looking for resources to purchase a few of these pins,  also links and pins for a JDM  Seiko (a Grey Ghost titanium kinetic) 
      Can anyone point me in the right direction? 
      Trev.