The show us your Christmas tree thread

I find it hard to believe your house is quiet oldhippy, I'm sure the quiet is broken by atleast several ticking clocks and quarter hour strikes. :D

I don't get invited to help set up our Christmas tree anymore, ever since I got cross that my wife bought a plastic Christmas tree so big I cant put it  in the loft and it has to live in its box behind the couch all year round. But I have promised my youngest son that I will get out my prewar all metal Lionel O gauge trainset and put it around the Christmas tree so he can drive it. I've also got one Lionel electric train from 1912 that still runs perfectly, when I got it I had to replace the brass bushes on the wheels and rewire it, but for a 106 year old toy train it still goes very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas is a personal choice. My wife was the holiday fanatic in the family. When she died 6 years ago, I adopted oldhippie's outlook. I have a television but I rarely turn it on. When I do, it's almost always on PBS as I detest commercials. I have no children and no family living nearby so it's not much of a stretch for me. Some may think that not putting up a tree a bit odd but I assure you that I always feel a tiny bit smug on Jan 2 when everyone else is tearing their decorations down and putting them away.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:34 AM, Alaskamick said:

We fill our house with as many people as want to come. My grandchildren keep me young.:woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

Lucky you.  We raised four kids who are all young adults now.  For 20 years the place was just wild fun and excitement at Christmas.  Now with them older and no grandkids yet its subdued....don't even have the tree yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  I definitely miss floors strewn with lego and kapla and screaming laughing rug rats everywhere, they bring a special kind of energy.   have 3/4 back for the holidays right now, I like quiet time, but having them back is better :)

Edited by measuretwice

OMG this has to be the saddest Christmas tree thread I have ever participated in:thumbsd: Oh well each to their own I guess

I hope no one will be upset if I don't do it next year...

Merry Christmas to those positive responses and all the best in the new year...

I'm on holiday in northern India at the moment, so not too many Christmas trees in the traditional sense in evidence (there are one or two, and the occasional Santa too).

However if  interesting not-Christmas tree shots, are permitted (well it has lots of trees in it, so why not), try this one that I took a couple of days back.

RIMG0964.thumb.JPG.3c24e07d1f7216f8130ac6ae5bed69c2.JPG

See if you can spot the watcher before it spots you.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you all.

Edited by AndyHull

5 minutes ago, HSL said:

Andy are you just in India for holidays and I who believed the rumors you were in BollyWood to shoot the next 500 episodes of Bang Baaja Baaraat ..  Merry X-Mas anyway

Ahh.... if only I was being paid Bollywood wages. :D Sadly I don't have the youthful killer good looks, or the talent. Not that a couple of minor details like that should stop me from applying for the job anyway. You'll all be the first to know if I land the lead roll.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:40 AM, oldhippy said:

I don’t like or celebrate Christmas. I prefer to be on my own. I just give my niece’s two children presents and I just send cards.   

Hey Old Hippy. However and with whoever you chose to spend today I thought it would be a good day to tell you how much I appreciate the effort you put into keeping this site working and for all the advice you give and learning you share.

Happy Christmas!

Stuart