Wdc

Needed - Citizens 8110A Service Manual

Question

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Citizens 8110A Service Manual? I have been poking around the web but have not come up with a full manual.

I have found someone selling 17-page PDF 8110A manual on ebay which I can buy but hate to if it can be found somewhere in the public domain.

Just finishing up the restoration on a 8110-9011 Bullhead (Panda), whereas the movement is in clean,  I notice the balance stopping in some positions so I would like to do a strip-down and service. It would be nice to have the full manual with schematics.

Thanks in advance,

Will  

20181204_112935.jpg

Edited by Wdc

12 answers to this question

21 hours ago, oldhippy said:

19 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi will,

I have overhauled several 8110.    Beautiful movement and pivot jewel design.

Take pictures at each stage of strip down, specially the keyless and chorono mech.

Regards joe

@Nucejoe

Hello Joe, having experience stripping down several 8110A movements. Can you tell me if to two screws in the photo below are left hand thread?

There is no mention of LH in the BOM or schematic, but I have had an experience (a bad one) with these three grooved screw heads on a Seiko.

I pretty much have the Cal stripped ready for the washer, but though I better phause and reach out before making a mistake I regret.  

The screws are: Ratchet Wheel and Piller Wheel

Thanks in advance,

Will

1294380039_!-WRTQuestion8110-1.thumb.jpg.be45759a5f50c3f312b4e96e526d068e.jpg

The purpose of More than one slot on a screw head is to warn the watchmaker that this is a left-handed thread. So you just have to remember to do the opposites of which you do with a normal screw and everything will be fine.

Sorry for late response, internet trouble most of the day.

Lucky johnR and others were available. But looks like they didn,t get there in time either.

Yes the three slot is indicative of left thresds, that is so the screws reamins tight. Same with automobile wheel bolts.

Both broke?   

Merry christmas in advance that happy ocasion you wouldn,t want to screw up.

Another pain is the chrono push buttons, don,t remove unless faulty. The ring is a real pain keeps falling off unless you replace with brand new ones.

The keyless and chrono is a complex complication too. Take pictures and examine the works to familiarize with.

Sorry sorry.

No need for sorry, this was all my bad. John had responded in plenty of time, the problem was LEFT on the brain. I moved from the keyboard to the ratchet gear and turned to the left to loosen, Wrong!

Fortunately, only the barrel arbor and I’ve already fished it out. The piller wheel went fine when turning to the RIGHT.

Only loss was the screw and the parts are in the cleaner now.

Thanks again to all

Edited by Wdc

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Sorry for late response, internet trouble most of the day.

Lucky johnR and others were available. But looks like they didn,t get there in time either.

Yes the three slot is indicative of left thresds, that is so the screws reamins tight. Same with automobile wheel bolts.

Both broke?   

Merry christmas in advance that happy ocasion you wouldn,t want to screw up.

Another pain is the chrono push buttons, don,t remove unless faulty. The ring is a real pain keeps falling off unless you replace with brand new ones.

The keyless and chrono is a complex complication too. Take pictures and examine the works to familiarize with.

Sorry sorry.

@Nucejoe,  To late on the chrono push buttons, those came out last week while refurbishing the case & likes. Noted on the c-clips hopefully they stay. If they do need replaced is a supplier for these?

Also, roger on the keyless, chrono and photos. I’ve always been a big photo taker (the bread crumb back), there cheap and quick to delete. The fact is, I‘m almost embarrassed to disclose the number photo taken on this strip-down, 244…lol  That by the number of parts and the ratio is pretty high lol

Not sure why, but I was a bit nervous going into his one and played to caution.  As a novice this 8110A Citizen seamed a bit more complex then the Seiko 6139’s I’ve been focusing on.

Well thanks again,

Will

PS one thing I could use advice. I did not completely disassemble the bottom side of the “upper end escape wheel bridge” photo directly below. Does not look like much on it, thinking it would clean assembled.  Your thoughts 

20181205_155811.jpg

20181205_155937.jpg

Edited by Wdc

Hi will,     Yes the c-clips, once removed/ replaced get flimsy.. The push buttons too, sometimes wont function as should mostly due to crowns not freely sliding back on stem tube. Stretch the push button springs, strengthens them for better push button returns.

The pix are mainly for your own reference and if they ever need posted , on ocasions others may see a fault you havn,t noticed.

The escape jewel assembly is small but a common design.I remove the jewel cab to clean and check the jewel, though never found one broken. 

I can,t open the pix you sent, ipad is ill going to hospital normally gets well in thirty minutes.

Regards