Help identify this watch

Nucejoe

The watch-in-the-hand symbol is a trademark used by Movado.

Movado produced their own movements in the main so knowing the internal case size (ligne) and that we have a dial advertising 17 jewels and with sub-seconds should allow you to track down the movement pretty quickly via the ever useful ranfft website.

Here's some nice info on Movado: http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/movado.php

P.S. Lovely looking dial! :)

• Like 1

Hi and merry christmas from Iran.

Thank you for helping.

The case ID is 28mm.

Dial feet diameter is 1mm.

Distance in between the two feel is 22.5mm. That makes center to center distance between both feet 23.5mm

One feet is at hr 4.30 , the other feet is at hr 10.30 .

Based on your say, I did a little net search for manual wind movado. Some are made in collaboration with universal and tiffany & co. Which gives me some idea why this watch is without movement.

Yes it is a beauty, i knida don,t like the lugs though.

Bye the way I know it is about christmas time, didn,t check for the exact date, but normally start greeting in advance. 

Merry christmas to all.

Regards joe.

Hi and merry christmas to all.

Thank you yankee, thank you watchmaker, for helping.

Case ID is 28mm

Distance in between two dial feet is 22.5mm

Feet diameter 1mm,  that makes center to center distance between both feet 23.5mm.

One feet is at hr 4.30 , the other is at hr 10.30.

Regards joe

The style of your dial, and with the sub seconds, probably makes it from around the 1940s / 1950s.

First let's assume the ligne size. The often used Movado 125 movement from watches of this era can be excluded because, being a 12.5''' movement (at 28mm+), this would be too large for your case which has an ID of only 28mm. Similarly a 10.5''' ligne movement at 23.7mm (covering a movement such as the Movado 261, again, often used) can realistically be excluded as if your dial feet are 22.5mm apart this would put them perilously close to the edge of the dial to fit such a movement (which I'm assuming they're not)!

So I think we're in circa 11.5''' territory for a Movado movement with 17 jewels and sub seconds ... also extremely likely to be manual wind (era of watch and the flat case back).  In that case there are few (Movado) movements it could be and almost certainly we're therefore looking at the 75. If you locate an image of the dial side of this type of movement, e.g. from ranfft, it looks like the dial feet positioning holes are in the right place from the description of your dial too. Result?

Edited by WatchMaker
  • Like 1

It would've been nice to have a little more to go by. So based on the previous reply my watchmaker 125 and 135 are probably too big although they claim to be 28 mm. I'm giving you the link so you can look I'm just going to Through Movado watches with Sub seconds. So some are bigger than 28 mm so I'm not putting them in the list that I course Some are smaller which brings up the problem of the second and won't be in the right place. Then I don't know if you can take the images on the website if you know the diameter figure out all the rest Of the dimensions from that as to how well that's going to work or not. So for the limited list I have it looks like watchmaker got it right because the 75 is about the right size and there is a image of the dial side. It's the last link I have.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Movado_150MN

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Movado_135

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Movado_125

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Movado_473

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Movado_75

• Like 1

What gets me is this....the case says movado but not the dial?this strikes me as odd.would a premium watch manufacturer put a no name dial on the watch? I think you have a mismatch here.it is entirely possible that dial was taken from a non  movado movement..and just put in that case because it happens to fit. The movement maybe an AS an ETA or even a jeambrun. When I get a chance next week I will look a few of my subdial watches and see what possible movement could fit that dial

Edited by yankeedog
Content
  • Like 2

Hi all,  My apologies for poor presentation,  In the light of yankee's point, dial may have said movado tiffany&co, I saw pic of one on line with same case. I am thinking since tiffany& co wasn,t advertised in Iran as well as movado some watch repair destroyer earased tiffany&co to slap some other movement in and used the movement in  a universal or some more expensive watch.

JohnR , dispite fresh software my ill tablet wont let me post the side and back view, the problem is to be fixed by tomorrow. It is a thin case, but then movado shows one with same face view which says automatic. Confusing at every corner.

Watchmaker thanks for staying tuned to help, the thin case says manual. Let me post more pix asap to save you all lots of headache, I personally am lost.

Thank you all.

Regards joe

@yankeedog makes a very valid point. With the case and dial being presented together and a seeming fit to the Movado 75 given the dial feet positions mentioned this seemed to tie up. But if the case and dial could just be two items thrown together we could be going down the wrong path here!

I guess other points of note on this are i) Movado are (more) famous for their clear and simple dial designs whereas your dial is quite fancy and also b) if you 'google image' Movado watches then in general they didn't usually advertise things about the movement e.g. a jewel count, antimagnetic etc . 

Something that may be of interest as a sideline for investigation is around watches produced by Technos. I mention this because I have noted that they often produced watches with 'distinct centres' on their dials and the font they often used bears a striking resemblance to your dial (a distinct and angular '4' but smoother '9' and '3' plus a serif on the '7' but not the '1's). 

image.png.1071e6c019d9fc6b59c3dd42ec041229.png

Now of course this doesn't mean other makers didn't design distinct centres on their dials or use the same font but I thought it was an interesting observation you'd rather I shared! If so I have also noted that Technos usually used AS (A.Schild) movements so if, from my and @JohnR725 's educated assertion you're dealing with an 11.5''' ligne movement, then perhaps another avenue of investigation is to look at AS 17 jewel movements with a sub second that may match your dial feed positioning...?

ok…. based upon your supplied dimensions the movement is NOT

peseux 200

raketa 2603

fef 210

elgin 723

eta 1281  

as 1002

these movements are all 11.5 ligne or smaller. the spacing of the dial  feet is smaller on all of them ,  so your movement is probably larger  .