Hi From Newcastle Uk

entropy

Hi there,

I've just signed up. My name is Lee. I am a computer technician by trade, but for several years now I've wanted to try horology as a hobby. Lately I've decided the time is right to make a start, I'm currently looking into tools, oils etc. 

Thank you mark - Your videos have been a valuable source for me, and have helped push me over the edge!

Kind regards,

Lee    

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Lee. This is an "edge" that once over, there is no going back..........be warned!!!

Seriously though, it is a great hobby and this is a great forum with lots of knowledgable folk willing to help or just talk about horology.

Hi there,

I've just signed up. My name is Lee. I am a computer technician by trade, but for several years now I've wanted to try horology as a hobby. Lately I've decided the time is right to make a start, I'm currently looking into tools, oils etc. 

Thank you mark - Your videos have been a valuable source for me, and have helped push me over the edge!

Kind regards,

Lee    

Welcome and enjoy the forum ;)

Hello Lee,

I was in IT for quite a while but am now retired and like messing around with watches as well having been attracted by Mark's Vids.  Oddly enough I live in Newcastle upon Tyne.  You don't work on the Silverlink by any chance do you ?

Welcome to the forum

Cheers,

Vic

Thanks again all.

Hi Vic, no but I think I know where you mean. I'm a sole trader of 7 years and am only juts starting to make some free time for myself, and do have a go. I don't retire for a good 20 years yet, so now is probably a good time to get started. I have compiled a short shopping list, it's a start anyway. I wanted to ask if I'm on the right path regarding lubricants. For screwdrivers I'm looking at the 9 piece AF set. They seem pretty good for the money. 

Lubricants in my list:

D5 20ml

9010 2ml

9415 2ml 

Are there essential lubricants missing here?

Hello Lee,

the oils are a much discussed subject on the forum and if you trace through you will find a wealth of info.  However, you will also find differing opinions and suggestions for alternatives. I have bemoaned the fact that it costs more than gold for Moebius oil.

I think that Mark the forum leader and a pro as you will know if you have watched his Vids, would recommend the exact three oils you mention and he may suggest that you could use Molycote DX as a grease.  He may also advise that if it is a quality watch you should as far as possible find out the recommended oils for the movement.

For instance I downloaded the PDF for an Accutron 2181 and it told me exactly what oils to use.  The PDF's are often obtainable from Cousins UK and other suppliers as well and from traces on the internet.  After that I was given a Chinese Rolex that had ceased working I had avoided looking at full mechanicals up to then and I used that as my first complete dissassembly, clean, and re-assembly and to my amazement I got it working.

However, if you are going to start off with a teardown, try a really cheap movement, perhaps one from ebay without a day and date display for instance, then clean all the parts and put them back together, in my opinion it would a waste of Moebius oil and I would start off experiments using one the cheap watch oils available for a few quid being very carefull not to drown anything - you will get the idea from Marks Vids.

One of the great things on this forum is that if you get stuck, lots of folk will rally round to help.  I am by no sense of the word an expert and I would call myself a hobbyist that is willing to have a go, but I would be rather scared of pulling my Glycine Airman apart in fact it will never happen.  I am sure some of the other lads will kick in and offer some advice on oils etc. as well.

For the record the Moebius I have are :-  D5,8300 grease, 8030, Quartz oil, 941, 9020, 9010, most of which are connected with my Accutrons but useful elsewhere as well but I will also admit to having D&L Watch oil 9551 and some silicone grease that I use when playing with scrap movements.  I use the Cheap Bergeon Oilers. 

As for your question about the drivers, I bought Bergeon ones but not a full set, I found that I get away with just four and I bought the ones that come with replacement blades.  The AF ones may be as good, I don't honestly know. Really its a matter of choice but I started out with really cheap ones but found I was continually having to get the oilstone out.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

Just an addendum, my Bergeon drivers are .5, 1, 1.4,  and 2 mm. I have cheaper ones but have more or less not touched them since I got the Bergeons.  This will probably make some of the lads wince but it is possible to buy replacement Bergeon Blades reasonably cheaply and you may find that they fit quite well into a pin vice - i wouldnt know of course ;)

Cheers,

Vic

Hello Vic,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have sourced a couple of old manual wind wristwatches from my sister. I don't know what they are yet though. She's going to drop them off for me when she's next over - Both non runners and will hopefully be a good starting point.

Yes I was surprised at the cost of the oils - I think it comes to around £50-£60 for the 3 I listed. After watching Mark's 7750 video I dropped over the ETA website and had a look at the oiling points/types etc. The assembly layouts are very well illustrated and they helped me clue myself up. Don't worry though, I don't plan on delving straight into a 7750. I think I will hold back for now on the expensive oils and put that money towards tool quality. I'll look to get some oil and grease for practicing during assembly. By the way - What fluids do you use from cleaning old practice movements? Also may I ask what size Bergeon screwdrivers to go for? ***ah, I just got your added info*** thanks for that :D

Thank you for the advice Vic, it is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Lee        

Hello Lee,

My better half is on the phone to her sister so I have playtime galore.

As I said before I am just a hobbyist so I have no watchmaker type large  ultrasonic cleaners but I bought a couple of £5.00 ultrasonic cleaners on the bay and they turned out to have 15 min timers built in.  I put my fluids into the tiny glass jam jars (you can get 5 in a box in B&M for a couple of quid and you get to eat the preserves).  I also purchased some mesh balls for really small bits. then I put some plain water in the ultrasonic cleaner and stand the jars in it and the agitation is passed through to the fluids in the jam jars.

The fluids I use and a few other of the lads use are by no means the only ones available but for me as a hobbyist they work ok.  The first is Naptha, Petroleum, Light Aliph which I get by buying lighter fluid.  Check the can to make sure that is the only constituent, Swan is ok and Clipper and probably many others but try to make sure Naptha is the only constituent. That is my first wash then I finish with a clean with Isopropanol (99.9% pure).  I have had no trouble at all with pallet jewels etc.  The other fluid I use is for really gummed up messy stuff and it is Horosolv a degreaser that is used as a a "dip" (not for the ultrasonics) usually only a minute for likes of hairsprings or other oily components and it is based on Benzene.

Others may have other alternatives but for me on a small scale I find these ok.

Cheers,

Vic

Thanks again Vic, I have ordered my tools, they will be with me tomorrow. I think the only things left to source is the oil and grease for practicing, and the ultrasonic cleaners. I'm hoping to get started this weekend, so I've been watching Marks videos extensively yesterday and will be this evening! They all have brilliant information that I imagine would be universal practice. If the postie does his usual 'SAS style' stealth delivery technique tomorrow, I will not be a happy bunny! In fact I will stalk the front door to be sure :)        

That looks like a pretty impressive start up pack. I forgot to mention that a mans watch is probably best for practice, the ladies watches tend to be quite small. The other thing is to take photos of each stage of dismantling so you have a record of how to put it back together. Keep the parts from each stage of dismantling together unless you are like Mark and can remember everything ( I can't). Do you know the make of your trial watches yet ?

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Vic, sorry about the external link. For some reason it's not letting me edit my post on my mac - i'll amend on the PC later. I've been hunting around some second hand shops today. They didn't have anything worth buying though, i'll go have another look tomorrow. This first bunch of tools came today, i've yet to get the oil and cleaning stuff yet. My sister is still hunting the 2 watches for me - They are both gents wristwatches, all she knows is they are both manual wind. She can't remember the brands though. I have my new iPhone 6 plus that i'll be using for reference photos. I may do some 1080 macro video with my DSLR at some point. I must say, the quality of even the cheap stuff i bought is surprisingly good. Those no 3 tweezers are especially high quality. Fair enough, the brass ones ain't brilliant, but they'll serve the purpose.

Where can i get the practice oil and grease from Vic, i'm not sure what to get and where to get it. I found some ultrasonic cleaners on ebay, with a half moon shaped plastic container, they looked ok for the money.    

I don't know if any of the lads have made a study of cheaper oils if so please chip in. When I bought mine I did not have any idea and got it from Amazon but I notice that you have some Anchor stuff in your kit and they make watch oil and grease so on balance I would think they are ok for practice. It on sale on the bay.

Ah yes, I just found it on eBay. It'll do for now, I'll get some of that. I'll wait until I have some practice under my belt before investing in moebius oils, I could just buy the lot now, but there's no point in it standing unused. I already had a gallon of 99% ISO in the workshop that I generally use for cleaning mainboards. So I'm using that to clean the machine oil off the cheaper tools. I have a plastic box that I'll store it all in for now. I'll get in the shed and make a wooded toolbox to contain everything for when it's not in use. I'm quite limited for working space, it'll be much handier to work out of a box. Thanks again for your time and advice Vic.

Thank you for the info Geo. I bought a little bottle of anchor watch oil off ebay. Any recommendations on grease? I just bought a Seiko 5 automatic off ebay for a couple of pounds. It's a runner but running fast. Day can be changed but not the date. It just says automatic, it doesn't say how many jewels on the dial. Oh well, it's something to tinker with.

Any recommendations on grease?

I used this before purchasing the expensive stuff :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schumacher-U1957-Moly-Grease-Pot-/230938474739?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35c50178f3

This works fine for most parts that need lubricated with grease, including the keyless work and mainspring of manual wind watches. Apply it with an oiler as Mark does in his videos, using very little at points of contact, it's not like packing a wheel earring. DO NOT USE THIS GREASE INSIDE THE BARREL OF AN AUTOMATIC WATCH. You need special breaking grease for that.

Hi entropy,

I'd love to see a picture of the Seiko. Some of the movements have a couple of plastic gears that allow to change the date and the day, they tend to break sometimes especially when stuck for any reason (careful during assembly). I'm inclined in thinking you have a 7002 rather than the 7S26 and would think there is a spring or even tooth on the date wheel that is damaged. The 7002 and previous movements don't have the plastic parts -- if I'm not mistaken, I can't remember well about them movements -- but a thin spring or "finger" to action the date ring. I'll probably look at the movement data after this post!

Bob