Citizen 8228A (Miyota) winder parts.

AndyHull

Is it possible to purchase parts for a Citizen 8228A (Miyota) movement. I have a rather beat up old example, which is missing the tip of one of the winder gears.
I suspect the answer is going to be, no, you would need to find the parts from another damaged example.

I did look on Cousins, but the part I need is not listed.

Initially I suspected the only issue with it was the balance, and spent a little time tickling the hairspring back into shape, only to then figure out that while the winder made the right noises, it wasn't actually driving the mainspring, due to the missing pinion tip.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw your reply, and your generous offer. I may be able to pick up another movement for less that it would cost to ship the part. I'm currently hovering around the seemingly infinite pile of cheap Indian ebay numbers looking for one that might become a suitable donor. Failing that, then this watch will end up as spares for any others I encounter in the future.

Thanks again for the offer, but since the value of the watch doesn't justify any significant spend, or arguably,  any spend at all, and since there is no rush to get it fixed, I'll just keep an eye out for a suitable donor, or perhaps make this my donor for some better looking piece.

I will of course keep you posted if I do fix it, or even if I experiment with micro-spot welding pins to shafts, since that sounds like an interesting experiment, and I should have the where with all  (a suitable controllable power supply) and the know how to control voltage, current etc to make a stab at getting that idea to work.  I see much smoke and possibly strong language in the crystal ball for 2019

lol.. sounds like a cool project, guess the construction of the spot welding power supply isn't as big of a challenge as trying to keep the small pin in a correct position whilst welding. In my past I have made lots of control boards to different CNC machines so if you need help with this project just give a howl. ;D