Any suggestions ???

Hi to all at the happy factory. :biggrin: I have been busy and away from the forum for a couple of months but can't resist popping in most nights to have a 'read up' of the various projects and problems. Me not having the knowledge and experience that a lot of members have, I ask this question!  Based on this criteria. I am actively looking for a watch made/introduced in 1953, it has to be a large watch, diver size and can be auto or manual wind. Any suggestions greatfully received.

Thanks Oldhippy, size, I hadn't thought about that! I have big hands and wrists so I need a largish watch. Well if anyone knows of a large wristwatch from that era please let me know. 

Edited by Johnnie
Spelling mistake

The first massive movement I was thinking of was the Longines 30L (the one in my profile photo) , but it didn´t appear until 1955 according to Dr Ranfft.
So I guess you have to look at some of the chronometers from the time, there are a bunch price worthy Landeron 48/51 based watches out there.
Otherwise it is like oldhippy says, the sizes were not very big back then.

• Like 1

Indeed so Eezyrider. I doubt (now) that I will be able to find the ideal watch and pin it down to1953, guess it was wishful thinking lol. But then again you never know what's around the next corner! And so I am going to change my criteria to, 1950's large watch, lol but having looked at HSL's suggestions I love the look of the Landeron48 and the "Strela" Russian, and I can't think of the maker! So still looking:startle:

I guess budget is a pretty big factor, no?

Also, I mean yes it's gonna be tricky to pin it down to an actual year unless the year of make was well documented with the serial numbers (eg, Seiko) or it had the original dated paperwork perhaps?

Like yourself i prefer larger watches, i can handle a 36mm but my ideal size is 38m (40mm at a push).  The old Tissot Antimagnetique oversized watches fit my criteria perfectly.  Not all that common, nice simple vintage design, 38mm case width and they don't cost the earth (DON'T pay £500 for ones on eBay!).  Below are my ones.

NB - if you ebay search 'watch 1953 ' you get quite a few results :)

IMG_20181025_203748_660.jpg

• Like 1