Made a Full “How To Make A Balance Staff” Movie

Just to let you know, I just made a full movie on how to make a balance staff. I start with an old Waltham movement and show how to strip the balance cock down and then strip down the Parts right down to the old balance staff. Then I show the process of measurement and material selection, including the use of the tools. I then cut the complete staff including finishing the pivot ends on the Lathe. This is the most complete video I have made to date. I will post the link as soon as it processes in a few hours...on my “jdrichard01” YouTube site. Here are the end results and the camera setup. Very hard to do with a camera strapped to the Lathe.fdc36bbaf052eb48bdf5a7110b50b529.jpgb02ce5f7f80b083fd5411a05c6222e51.jpgece32388943e3c0bb89b49904326760a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Just to let you know, I just made a full movie on how to make a balance staff. I start with an old Waltham movement and show how to strip the balance cock down and then strip down the Parts right down to the old balance staff. Then I show the process of measurement and material selection, including the use of the tools. I then cut the complete staff including finishing the pivot ends on the Lathe. This is the most complete video I have made to date. I will post the link as soon as it processes in a few hours...on my “jdrichard01” YouTube site. Here are the end results and the camera setup. Very hard to do with a camera strapped to the Lathe.fdc36bbaf052eb48bdf5a7110b50b529.jpg&key=d2b427941a7cc185e3d07d91352903dc58305dcdb754b23621867a1eb1496417b02ce5f7f80b083fd5411a05c6222e51.jpg&key=7d3b19d93c7fb5cdf3edda1fa9a98b336ef59180f49c1142c6245b7fa13e703dece32388943e3c0bb89b49904326760a.jpg&key=0b072566f43947fcd7db0d086d061029945d08ba27bd89326f9fb342a1b9d1dd

Here is the video. Sorry in ended up inverted for some reason. New software :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great Vid Richard.That square graver is great where did you purchase it and is it carbide. 

Precision Artistry, [email protected]
Bought the 2 mm (round and square tip) 4 mm (round and square tip). These are way more useful than the typical large triangular graver, although a 4 mm small triangle would be great for undercutting the flat spots on the rim of the cuts.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

Precision Artistry, [email protected]
Bought the 2 mm (round and square tip) 4 mm (round and square tip). These are way more useful than the typical large triangular graver, although a 4 mm small triangle would be great for undercutting the flat spots on the rim of the cuts.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Thanks I will have a look. I have failed miserably making a new balance falling often at the last hurdle. However I have had a lot of success in modifying existing staffs. The gravers you are using should help.

• Like 1

Thanks I will have a look. I have failed miserably making a new balance falling often at the last hurdle. However I have had a lot of success in modifying existing staffs. The gravers you are using should help.

The roller table cut is very hard so I really take my time. The pivots are also challenging. Using a stone to get the right final diameter of the pivot is the real skill. The rest is not too bad.

Thank you so much for posting this, I will be devouring it later. It's very timely for me in particular as I'm just starting out on lathe work and have started on the balance staff journey. And all I have achieved really so far is to find that I need a LOT more practice!

• Like 1

Instead of using gauge callipers why not, use a Vernier gauge it is a lot easier to handle. I cannot remember if you mentioned anything about taking measurements. I always measured all parts of the old staff and had those at the bench on paper to refer to if needed.  I didn’t find it a long video, it was extremely interesting and thanks for sharing.   

Thank you so much for posting this, I will be devouring it later. It's very timely for me in particular as I'm just starting out on lathe work and have started on the balance staff journey. And all I have achieved really so far is to find that I need a LOT more practice!

It takes a bit of time and not cutting off to much material is the hardest part. I had to turn a friction fit staff into a riveted staff once because I cut too much. Also, cut the pivots down to .2 mm and then use a stone for the rest. Screw up one pivot and you need to start all over again.

Instead of using gauge callipers why not, use a Vernier gauge it is a lot easier to handle. I cannot remember if you mentioned anything about taking measurements. I always measured all parts of the old staff and had those at the bench on paper to refer to if needed.  I didn’t find it a long video, it was extremely interesting and thanks for sharing.   

Thanks for the input. I usually take all the dimensions first as well and love the pivot pin gauges, dormiens gauge(spelling) and the pivot ruler gauge. All seem to work.

deep bow for your work and sharing this, I know now that it will take me a lot more working on watches before I dive into making this....:Bravo:

Thanks for the input. Read a boatload of books first, then bought the two video sets, tasconni and John Trope(spelling): I’m on a plane right now:). The I found the right material and gravers that were sized right. I also bought some sharpening plates off AliExpress for almost nothing. I should do a video on the tools needed. I now have 10 lathes. 5 on borel stands and the rest are traditional.

• Like 1

Interesting jdrichard. I only have HSS gravers which work great but need sharpening on a regular basis. The only reason I have not purchased the carbide gravers is the issues with sharpening them. If I am correct the only way is with diamond wheels or laps. 

A good way of starting is to make a staff about 4 times the normal size. You could start with something like a Swiza clock balance staff. Then work your way to a watch size. It helds to get to know your lathe and good pracrise with the gravers.

s-l300.jpg

Managed to watch the first hour last night JD, very good stuff my friend. It's certainly given me some pointers on how to take my lathe work forward. I've read before that you can tell when you are turning well as you get swarf rather than chips from the material, so you are certainly turning well! Can't say the same for your singing though... :D

• Like 1

Managed to watch the first hour last night JD, very good stuff my friend. It's certainly given me some pointers on how to take my lathe work forward. I've read before that you can tell when you are turning well as you get swarf rather than chips from the material, so you are certainly turning well! Can't say the same for your singing though... [emoji3]

Very very funny. I am a guitar player though

Interesting jdrichard. I only have HSS gravers which work great but need sharpening on a regular basis. The only reason I have not purchased the carbide gravers is the issues with sharpening them. If I am correct the only way is with diamond wheels or laps. 

Sheet of 2000 grit diamond plate. Buy on AliExpress cheap. Works really well with a screwdriver sharpener.

Just when I thought I was done, I was carefully putting on the second hand on the wheel and the PIVOT BROKE right at the jewel hole.da4feccddb09fb68a6b27e691eb0fdeb.jpg
Disassembled it to have a look and it was indeed broken, leaving the pivot on the second hand pipe.c6886df4459ad0aaa8b51a0770ef882b.jpg8c7c38509785ed0b13e9708082f8076f.jpgdaff378665e88ceabc9bd07047280ed8.jpg
So now I need to repivot the gear. Stand by for the next adventure....may make a movie as well.6d7081a9a33fdcd3f73772a95b2f4ad5.jpg