AS 2066 - looking for information

davidrrd

Hello guys.

So last weekend I got a Rado Musketeer VI with a AS2066 movement. Movement is running quickset seems to be good but the date struggles to change after 24h. I picked up the watch at a flea market in Taipei so it will need a service anyway...... And I am looking for as much information I can in this movement: I found a parts list, now I am looking at a walkthrough/tutorial or some experience that will point me on what not to do!

Iy might take me sometime before I drive in.... But I am doing my homework so I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me! ;-)

Thanks in advance.

David 84331eb75a239709c41e2dc09950f1ce.jpg574d4c938722814529a2e3ff74d2dfc0.jpged4a34f824916c396359eb06276d634d.jpg36cafc83b595acbd086249dcc1bc7512.jpg

Hi david.

They are easy to work on., Though the set time and date set mechs are less than perfect good autowinders.Some brands I think Tissot for one still uses as2066 calib( Asian made) which are of slightly inferior quality to Genunine swiss made. I had one with date change problem which bugged me for a while until just by guess changing the jumper did the trick, later I was told the jumper on the watch had  likely to have been Asian made replacement.

First time I see as2066 in Rado, the grade Expectedly is high on it. Drop me a msg when you start working on it, I work with you til fixed.

Regards joe

• Like 2

A kind and generous offer of help as you go along, if you need it, from @Nucejoe :thumbsu:

Perhaps a useful tip if you are working on a particular movement is to reference the ranfft site and be aware of movement IDs within the same family. As you'll see if you look at http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&AS_2066 your AS 2066 comes from a large family! What this means is that if you can't find information on your specific movement ID you might be able to find it for a movement within the same family which will share all the same core components as yours. 

As a good example if you search for AS 1900 on YouTube you'll see that Mark has done a very comprehensive service, over three videos, of this movement type. Sure your movement has more capability (automatic and day/date) but at its core it will be the same as the AS 1900.

My other top tip is that when taking off the date dial guard remove slowly and carefully (perhaps even in a small plastic bag) in case the date jumper spring is not securely in place and wants to make a bid for freedom! That is unless you want to spend an hour trying to find it again somewhere in your room. I speak from hard won experience...!

Edited by WatchMaker
  • Like 2

Hi david.
They are easy to work on., Though the set time and date set mechs are less than perfect good autowinders.Some brands I think Tissot for one still uses as2066 calib( Asian made) which are of slightly inferior quality to Genunine swiss made. I had one with date change problem which bugged me for a while until just by guess changing the jumper did the trick, later I was told the jumper on the watch had  likely to have been Asian made replacement.
First time I see as2066 in Rado, the grade Expectedly is high on it. Drop me a msg when you start working on it, I work with you til fixed.
Regards joe

Hi david.
Regards joe

Hey Joe,
Thanks a lot for your message and proposition I will certainly get back to you once I start working on the movement. However please be a little patient I have to deal with a couple of things during this month before I can find the time to do it.
This will be my first experience with an AS movement and know little about it's history, but remember getting a message once telling me that they where great movements to learn with. As for the RADO part, I saw messages on a forum claiming there were a lot of fakes and people getting mad at authenticity demands. But one of the apparently "experts" on collecting them said before 1950 (if I remember well) Rado exclusively used A. Schild movements. So I will dig a bit more to see if I find information on this particular one.

A kind and generous offer of help as you go along, if you need it, from [mention=4872]Nucejoe[/mention] :thumbsu:
Perhaps a useful tip if you are working on a particular movement is to reference the ranfft site and be aware of movement IDs within the same family. As you'll see if you look at http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&AS_2066 your AS 2066 comes from a large family! What this means is that if you can't find information on your specific movement ID you might be able to find it for a movement within the same family which will share all the same core components as yours. 
As a good example if you search for AS 1900 on YouTube you'll see that Mark has done a very comprehensive service, over three videos, of this movement type. Sure your movement has more capability (automatic and day/date) but at its core it will be the same as the AS 1900.
My other top tip is that when taking off the date dial guard remove slowly and carefully (perhaps even in a small plastic bag) in case the date jumper spring is not securely in place and wants to make a bid for freedom! That is unless you want to spend an hour trying to find it again somewhere in your room. I speak from hard won experience...!
Hello there.
Thanks for the tips I will be extremely careful there. I've already lost time looking for flying parts and I want to avoid it. As for the videos I am currently looking at them slowly. The thing that is was looking for was on the way to take out the oscillating mass and auto.mechanism that video will help me a lot after that. I've only dealt with ball bearing rotors.

I will keep looking around and will keep you guys posted once I've taken over it!