Hi Everyone 

I hope you are all well. 

It has been 12 months or so since I last logged in, and shamefully about the same since I pulled out my box of old watches. I was browsing the 'Bay' as always and really liked the look of this Waltham Traveler. I picked it up for less than £10 and would like to use it as my first restoration project. I have undertaken minor repairs in the past but nothing like this, I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. 

I need to find a key to see if it winds & runs, repair/service it and source the hands and a case, which is uncharted territory for me and I'm not sure how easily they are sized / sourced.

Any help, advice or pointers that you guys may be useful to me will be greatly received

Many thanks in advance 

Dave  

IMG_20181201_083416.png

IMG_20181201_083507.png

IMG_20181201_085104.png

I think this will be a hard one. Looking at the dial side, I can see the cannon pinion and hour wheel are missing. The winding mechanism is very different from English P/Watches. Parts of what should be between the plates can be seen in the photo. Other parts such as part stem and winding button are attached to the case and the depth of engagement for winding and setting of the hands are controlled by what is called a sleeve, which are screwed inside the tube of the case. Here is a photo of a sleeve. These sleeves do break, but it is possible to obtain a replacement. The other problem you have is obtaining a good complete case.

maxresdefault.jpg

abc.jpg

Well that will teach me, It sounds as though I have bitten off more than I can chew, and not for the first time :unsure:

Its a shame, I was hoping to bring it back to life 

Perhaps I will just use it as practice, taking apart and putting it back together. 

Many Thanks 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just saw this post. If it helps you have a 16 size hunter case movement. If you should look for a case it should come with a sleeve and possibly stem and crown. If you want to just practice with the movement you can actually see if you can get it running with what you have barring any damaged parts. After you take watch apart and put it back together you will find that when you go to screw on the ratchet wheel that the watch will wind up as you try to tighten the screw. Just be careful not to wind up very much as the screw could break off. The watch will run without the hour wheel and cannon pinion, you just can't attach the hands. I might even have those parts myself. In any event once the watch starts ticking then you will know if it's worth looking for the remaining parts.   

Charles K 

13 hours ago, CKelly said:

Hi,

I just saw this post. If it helps you have a 16 size hunter case movement. If you should look for a case it should come with a sleeve and possibly stem and crown. If you want to just practice with the movement you can actually see if you can get it running with what you have barring any damaged parts. After you take watch apart and put it back together you will find that when you go to screw on the ratchet wheel that the watch will wind up as you try to tighten the screw. Just be careful not to wind up very much as the screw could break off. The watch will run without the hour wheel and cannon pinion, you just can't attach the hands. I might even have those parts myself. In any event once the watch starts ticking then you will know if it's worth looking for the remaining parts.   

Charles K 

Many Thanks Charles 

I had lost a little interest in it after thinking that it wasn't worth working on. However, I did put it back together and the watch did wind up as I screwed the ratchet wheel back on and it did start ticking . So, I may start looking for the parts again.

Many thanks for renewing my interest.

Dave C