Hi Everyone 

I hope you are all well. 

It has been 12 months or so since I last logged in, and shamefully about the same since I pulled out my box of old watches. I was browsing the 'Bay' as always and really liked the look of this Waltham Traveler. I picked it up for less than £10 and would like to use it as my first restoration project. I have undertaken minor repairs in the past but nothing like this, I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. 

I need to find a key to see if it winds & runs, repair/service it and source the hands and a case, which is uncharted territory for me and I'm not sure how easily they are sized / sourced.

Any help, advice or pointers that you guys may be useful to me will be greatly received

Many thanks in advance 

Dave  

IMG_20181201_083416.png

IMG_20181201_083507.png

IMG_20181201_085104.png

I think this will be a hard one. Looking at the dial side, I can see the cannon pinion and hour wheel are missing. The winding mechanism is very different from English P/Watches. Parts of what should be between the plates can be seen in the photo. Other parts such as part stem and winding button are attached to the case and the depth of engagement for winding and setting of the hands are controlled by what is called a sleeve, which are screwed inside the tube of the case. Here is a photo of a sleeve. These sleeves do break, but it is possible to obtain a replacement. The other problem you have is obtaining a good complete case.

maxresdefault.jpg

abc.jpg

Well that will teach me, It sounds as though I have bitten off more than I can chew, and not for the first time :unsure:

Its a shame, I was hoping to bring it back to life 

Perhaps I will just use it as practice, taking apart and putting it back together. 

Many Thanks 

Hi,

I just saw this post. If it helps you have a 16 size hunter case movement. If you should look for a case it should come with a sleeve and possibly stem and crown. If you want to just practice with the movement you can actually see if you can get it running with what you have barring any damaged parts. After you take watch apart and put it back together you will find that when you go to screw on the ratchet wheel that the watch will wind up as you try to tighten the screw. Just be careful not to wind up very much as the screw could break off. The watch will run without the hour wheel and cannon pinion, you just can't attach the hands. I might even have those parts myself. In any event once the watch starts ticking then you will know if it's worth looking for the remaining parts.   

Charles K 

13 hours ago, CKelly said:

Hi,

I just saw this post. If it helps you have a 16 size hunter case movement. If you should look for a case it should come with a sleeve and possibly stem and crown. If you want to just practice with the movement you can actually see if you can get it running with what you have barring any damaged parts. After you take watch apart and put it back together you will find that when you go to screw on the ratchet wheel that the watch will wind up as you try to tighten the screw. Just be careful not to wind up very much as the screw could break off. The watch will run without the hour wheel and cannon pinion, you just can't attach the hands. I might even have those parts myself. In any event once the watch starts ticking then you will know if it's worth looking for the remaining parts.   

Charles K 

Many Thanks Charles 

I had lost a little interest in it after thinking that it wasn't worth working on. However, I did put it back together and the watch did wind up as I screwed the ratchet wheel back on and it did start ticking . So, I may start looking for the parts again.

Many thanks for renewing my interest.

Dave C

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PaulnKC
      WRT Members,
      I have a 50's/60's era Waltham men's wristwatch that needs some help.
      It's in amazing (as-new) condition, but while wearing the other day, it stopped - even though there should have been plenty of power in the mainspring.
      Disassembling for investigation quickly revealed the trouble. The screw-head from the ratchet wheel screw had broken off and found its way in to the train wheels and locked everything up.
      There appears to be no other damage - thankfully. But now I want to fix the movement. My preference would be to find a barrel arbor and screw - or better yet a complete going barrel assembly new with ratchet wheel screw.
      I am search eBay now - but thought I'd check with you guys to see if anyone knew of a good source for such parts. I haven't found any yet.
      NOTE: This movement is Swiss made, 7 jewels, marking on the base plate look like Unitas 1690/02
      Any info/help is greatly appreciated.
      Kind Regards,
      -Paul
    • By eccentric59
      I'm as green as they come and need a scrap movement for practice. I scored this on an eBay auction for $0.99 (+ $4.99 shipping, LOL) First inspection shows it not in terrible condition. The balance and escapement move at least, but it doesn't wind (very stiff) and the keyless works are either rusted fast or broken (the stem does not move in or out). I'll be taking this very slowly, since it's educational more than anything else.

Please note the high quality cardboard case ring. 

• By trevsdad
      I'd like to try my hand at converting a vintage pocket into a wristwatch.
      For anyone who knows, what size pocket watch should I aim for and what's the best source for an appropriate sized case? Is a 'Hunter' best for this? What's the best solution for a winding stem and if I have to go with a case that's not drilled for the stem, what's the best solution?
      In other words, what best practice for this mod?? Any help would be appreciated.
      thanks
    • By FiddlerBob
      Hi All
      I've an 11 jewel 1879 Waltham pocket watch with very old and pitted jewels, particularly 4th and escape wheel. They've caused a bit of uneven wear on the pivots so I'm getting wavey traces on the timegrapher. I've polished the pivots and this has improved the situation a fair bit, but would really like to replace the old jewels.
      Now, as they are held in chatons, is there any way of purchasing replacement jewels complete in the chatons? I had assumed since Waltham made bajillions of watches that spares for the jewels in chatons would be simple to find, but I'm buggered if I can! 
      Am just I going to have to try and put replacement jewels in the existing chatons? 
      I'm just a hobbyist, but am a bit of a perfectionist so would like to get the watch running as well as I can. She's a lovely heavy size 18. 
      Next watch I'm on to is an accutron space view... A bit of a different beast! 
      Cheers in advance guys.
    • By AdamC
      It's been a while since I've worked on a movement as old as this. A friend asked me to look at whether I could get his great-grandmother's watch working again. When I first saw it, I thought it was an old 1920's ladies wristwatch, though thought it odd that the winding stem is at 12. However, on closer examination, it resembles more of an old pocket watch movement. Now amazingly, the watch is ticking when wound but I cannot pull the stem to set the hands. On removing the dial, I can see the yoke and yoke spring on the opposite side. But would I be right in thinking that it is missing the setting lever? There is a space that looks suspiciously like there could have been a setting lever there once but I could be wrong.
      I'd also be interested to hear your opinions on the age of the movement. I'm thinking around 1900.
      What's more surprising is that when the case is closed, you don't see the chipped porcelain around the edges, so thick is the bevel. It looks so nice and ornate and when the case is closed. Would love to be able repair but have my doubts.
      Any ideas about the keyless works?
      Thanks in advance.