binocular loupes

phydaux

Does anyone here use binocular loupes, similar to the dental loupe pictured below?  If so, how do they work for you?

41JVdgUy3iL.jpg&key=0d61521ff4e66ad33f722f43d71104fff15b6625a7d73e34cfc4536fb64aadc8

These are really bad for watch repair. You need to get some x 3 glasses from the drug store and then a clip-on loop on amazon for close stuff. I have tried everything and this is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmm...  I've got a Bausch and Lomb 4x loupe, and I'm waiting for my loupe wire to come in the mail from Amazon.

I've seen "similar" cheap glasses-style loupes, but they specifically said they do NOT provide binocular vision.  These seem adjustable to provide binocular vision. 

Guess I'll just wait for my loupe wire to arrive in the mail.  Damn ground shipping from China.  (How do they even DO ground shipping across the ocean?  Do they strap it to a crab and have him walk?)

I have a pair of Carl Zeiss like in the pic. They are very nice, probably the best of this kind of loupe. True binocular, they are 2.3x. Not that bad to use and good working distance. BUT- they are less useful than a regular loupe in my opinion. The large working distance is a bit of a good and bad thing; as your head is some distance from the work you don't crash tools into your face, but maintaining the proper focal distance is hard and after some time eye strain sets in. I do use mine sometimes for very specific work but wouldn't recommend them for general watch work.

The cheap plastic ones I would imagine are even more frustrating and less useful- the above are apparently 3.5x which will make the focal distance issue even more sensitive. From what I've gathered a regular Optivisor is a more useful visual aid.

zeiss.jpg

Hi Guys    have some of  these and find if you wear glasses they are not much use as the adjustment on the lens es is minimal, not easy to wear over glasses,  I use mostly a visor which flips up and down and is easy to use over glasses. either that or a regular loupe with wire head band. What I do find a pest is the double focus loupe fogging up, might try rubbing the lens with gylcerin and a good polish.

These are the binocular loupes that I use.  A sales person came to my house to measure eye distances etc for proper fitting.  The eyeglass lens is my prescription.  Everything was setup at their factory then mailed to me.  I like them but they take getting used to using - especially if you are used to using something requiring your face to be close to the work.  I like them for lathe work on the scale of things that I manufacture.  These are very expensive.

Loupes0282sm.jpg

These are the binocular loupes that I use.  A sales person came to my house to measure eye distances etc for proper fitting.  The eyeglass lens is my prescription.  Everything was setup at their factory then mailed to me.  I like them but they take getting used to using - especially if you are used to using something requiring your face to be close to the work.  I like them for lathe work on the scale of things that I manufacture.  These are very expensive.
Loupes0282sm.jpg.46e136cb1aea1b76258685935af399d2.jpg

How expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 12/1/2018 at 2:46 PM, jriser said:

Loupes0282sm.jpg

I too have a set of these from the old surgery days.  Very Expensive and must be set up for working distance.  As such, mine are useless for bench work.

RMD

5 hours ago, rduckwor said:

I too have a set of these from the old surgery days.  Very Expensive and must be set up for working distance.  As such, mine are useless for bench work.

RMD

You can have them completely "reaimed" for the desired work.  Mine work fine for my uses.

• Like 1