automatic version of the 6497/8?

Is there an automatic movement that has a similar diameter & hand layout to the 6497/6498 movements?

Naturally an automatic movement would be thicker, and such a movement wouldn't fit in a case designed for a 6497/6498.  So there's no reason to derail the thread and "chide the noob" for not understanding something so simple and obvious.

Thanks!

I get that, but I'm planning my upcoming projects and they all involve automatic movements.

I'm thinking of using a 6497/8 for a "classic" pilot watch, but I'm thinking I'd like a "modern pilot watch" with an automatic movement just a little bit better.

phydaux, how has it been going with Mark's videos and the 6497 or whatever you chose?  I'm a noob too, been lax on practicing for a couple months myself but trying to get back into it.  I thought the 6497 he uses in the video was a good starter because of how simple it was to take apart and put back together.  If you haven't done that one I'd recommend at least starting with it.  I got into my second watch tear down after the 6497 and it's a lot different when the piece you are working on doesn't match the training video.

Got a 6498 clone on order from China.  Now I've got to wait for the panda bear carrying it to swim all the way from Nan King.

I kinda want to throw it in a case and make a watch, but I think I need to practice assembly and disassembly. 

I'll also need to practice oiling it.  So I'll need a cleaning set up to clean off all the still-good factory oil so I can oil it.  

And once I've done that, who knows if it will ever work again?  Or even if it does if it will keep good time?  So I'll need a timing machine to test it.

So many steps after your first baby steps, but they seem to fall quickly like dominoes.  

Edited by phydaux

I recommend getting the parts to make a watch.  It made it more fun to case the movement and have a watch at the end of it.  Be careful to get all the measurements for dial size and case etc to match.  I ended up having to buy two cases because I didn't look at the measurements.  I'll say it's an expensive hobby to start too.  After buying all the tools and oils I think I'm into this watch for $600 lol.  But I love it, it turned out nice.  Plus I have the tools and enough oil for dozens more projects going forward, so the investment is worth it.  Good luck with your 6498 with the exception of the seconds location it should be pretty similar.

6497.jpg