Detomaso Palermo DT2052-B watch back - CAN'T get it back on!

wilding

Hello again watch-fix fans. You've helped me quite a bit in the past, but THIS one may prove more tricky.

It concerns my beautiful big Detomaso Palermo DT2052-B watch.

Yup, I like 'em big! and THIS is 53mm of watch bigness here!

But ... size in THIS case IS a problem.

Having got the back off (it is a snap-back) to change the battery (or maybe it was two I changed), I just CANNOT get the watch back to snap back on!

I have tried hand pressure ... NO!
I have tried a watch case press both with plastic dies and now with aluminium dies.
I even bought a new set of aluminium dies to 64mm, but stuill no good.

First I thought it was that the top die was not big enough to press. The biggest top (ie, flat) die I have is, I think, 60mm. That die does sit on top and covers most of the back, but even with all my strength (which may not be much, but should be enough), it does NOT get that watch back to go back on.

I have tried greasing all around the insides of the back (and THIS explains the greasy looks in the photos! Don't worry, it will be cleaned!). ALSO NO GOOD!
I even tried oiling (with proper watch oil) and ... yup ... that watch back is still off!!

FRUSTRATING!!!

This is SUCH a nice watch that I WANT to wear again but it has sat unclosed for months now. If I cannot close it, then it is NOT a lot of use! I do NOT want to have to resort to passing the problem to some eBayer somewhere if i CAN fix it myself.

Is therE something I am doing wrong? Do I need a bigger flat die on top?

What I do rememeber is that, initially, getting the back off was quite hard. This kind of suggests that it was not a good fit to begin with!

As far as I can see, nothing is obstructing anything. I get one side of the watch back down, but the other side just won't follow.20171006-102205.jpg20171006-102205.jpg20181129-174549.jpg20181129-174602.jpg20181129-174624.jpg20181129-174631.jpg20181129-174638.jpg20181129-174700.jpg20181129-174719.jpg20181129-174727.jpg20181129-174953.jpg20181129-175015.jpg

The watch is too darn big! 

The top die should not be flat it should be a concave one that just clears the crystal. In other words, it should sit completely on the bezel (or equivalent).

52870610_ScreenShot2018-11-29at1_37_12PM.png.847e96b78a6dfa884ba3aa349d73d2a8.png

The bottom die should be the flat one and it doesn't have to be as large as the watch, but use one that is large enough.

748914996_ScreenShot2018-11-29at1_37_20PM.png.cc79e19f85701bcf71363cfc30991743.png

Make sure that watch case and the dies are perfectly aligned by applying pressure and checking the positioning. Once you feel confident all is properly aligned, apply steady and increasing pressure until you hear the back snap back on. It may take considerable pressure.

J

Edited by noirrac1j

Piece of wood.lay that sucker down on your kitchen table and get yourself a flat piece of wood about one foot long that covers the back almost completely.press down.put your back into it.just make sure it's lined up properly.I couldn't tell by the pictures.but I assume that is a flat crystal

Edited by yankeedog
Content
  • Like 1

I may be wrong but that crystal doesnt look flat or flush with the case. If thats true, you must use the press. I would use concave dies on both sides. You want the pressure on the casebook to be focused on the edges. I would use the metal dies for this application since the nylon dies tend to flex.

Do you remember if when you changed the battery the first time you used your thumb to put the caseback on. If so, you may have put a slight bow in the case back and that may be the issue as it will never go back on.....time for a new caseback

If your caseback is nice and flat, then all you have to do is take your time and find the sweet spot. You do not have to put herculean pressure on this thing to close. What I do when I have this type of case that is causing me problems is pull down on the press and if it doesnt snap I rotate the case/caseback 20degress and try again. eventually you will hit the sweet spot and it will snap closed. Patience is the key here.

Good Luck

Edited by Horologent

1 hour ago, Horologent said:

I may be wrong but that crystal doesnt look flat or flush with the case. 

Yeah that crystal looks convex to me as well, in which case a press is needed for sure. Putting pressure and turning it slightly each time (if it doesn't pop in right away) also works for me.

J

My suggestion would be to place the caseback outer side down, on a hollow die which just fits inside the outer edge. Find something like a very small plastic bottle top, place it centrally inside the cover and give it a few taps with a small hammer. This should push the centre out and draw the sides in. 

Take care to do no damage and check fit after each try.

Edited by eezy
typo

Well perhaps Ive been doing it wrong but  I do it the opposite way to noirrac1j. Watch face down on the concave die so the lugs take the pressure. Flat top die just slightly smaller than the case back, line it up then slowly increase the pressure until you hear that 'snick' noise. Its easier with a screw down press because it gives you more control.

2 hours ago, chrisdt said:

Well perhaps Ive been doing it wrong but  I do it the opposite way to noirrac1j. Watch face down on the concave die so the lugs take the pressure. 

Either way works so long as the[pressure is not on the glass!

J