Timex case..

HSL

Today I decided to do a restore by lottery, first the traditional blindfold and a fast mix with the tombola wheel.
Voilà the long lost TIMEX box gets chosen, well on with the blindfold on again I choose which movement to practice on.
Obviously it will be an 34320-10880 diver with a missing Bezel. Case back comes off with traditional rubber sealing hanging from it, swoosh the rotor gets air born and it seems to be a walk in the park.
But that is how far I got, usually there is a spring holding the movement and dial in place in the case.. no matter how I turn and try to find such a device I cant see it anywhere.
So humbled by this experience I have to ask advice from the TIMEX professionals on how to remove this movement, do I remove the Chrystal and tear it out from the top or is there a swifter way?

TIMEX_FACE.jpg

TIMEX_BACK.jpg

Looks like there are four tabs holding it to the dial at about 1,5, 7, and 11 o'clock. On the Timexes I've worked on, gently straightening those will free the movement from the dial, leaving the center wheel and hands behind. I've only worked on a few though, so don't take this as gospel!

QH

well it looks like you figured out that is an out the front case.  actually that case is used for both manual and automatic movements.

Each would have a different case back.  Good luck with the repair, if you need the stem crown I may have one.

Thank you for the offer JerseyMo but I had both the stem and crown.
Now everything is clean and oiled and back in place, gave me a surprisingly  tough match to get it running with a strong clean beat.
And no I didn't polish the glass, I cheated with a new one.
If someone would have a fitting bezel i might have something to swap with....

Timex_Clean.jpg

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• It's pronounced "bombay" like the city.  French for bomb is, 😄, bombe, pronounced the same as in English. Bombé, bombe.
    • That's a really good idea! I have a 3d printer, I think I'll design something that I can clip on to the edge of my desk to do the same. Thanks for the idea. 
    • I looked up bombè, domed in French.  It's pronunciation is bomb, does a bomb (explosive device) get It's name from bombè? I know we're going off subject but it's interesting. 
    • Okay, I checked with the fine folks at the McCaw Company, and they agree it's the correct crystal, and they have one in stock, so with that sorted time to get onto assembly. Starting by getting the spring into the barrel, which was a bit harrowing. It took me several tries to get it hooked onto my worn old winder arbor, but I did find a new use for the micrometer stand I just purchased. Carefully dabbed some Kluber P125 braking grease to the left of the divots around the barrel, and a little HP1300 on the floor of the barrel before popping it in--in case you haven't seen it, this is a great illustration I found somewhere on this site. You're not the boss of me, Bulova.   2172_Bulova 11AOAC 11AOACD 11AOACB.pdf Bulova_11 AOAC, D, B(1).pdf I got the train back in and it didn't seem as free as I'd like. Looks like the driving wheel with cannon pinion has zero end shake. That could explain the low amplitutde I started with. Now if you were me, would you push on the plate jewel or the bridge jewel? I've attached some extra pictures in case anyone sees something else I'm doing wrong here.
    • I have quite a few watch brands from all over the world. For some reason this Timex electric from 1979 is capturing my attention this week. I am not a particularly fond of battery operated watches or Timex, but this one is different for some reason. Post your watch in your collection that seems to draw you in more now than before...