No luck with movement id...

Haven’t been very lucky with my recent findings and getting them identified.

But I’m not throwing in the towel yet; here’s another peculiar one for you to look at.

Both movement and dial has a symbol ”3” insite a diamond. At least that’s my interpretation of what I see. And the no. 481 is stamped on one of the bridges.

Can’t find any references to the symbol or no. And hoping that someone more knowledgeable can help.

Photos are attached.

And btw. Both balance staff pivots are gone...

30b9a775a53a9fb8e7509bc91afd48f3.jpgy03de66787e7c321557f2aa56dc50f679.jpgff6c3e441cc659c848d793f5988e1920.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a bad shout there.  The bridges look pretty identical but the keyless works are slightly different.  Possibly another generation of teh same movement?

Until recently it was possible (but difficult) to view the Catalogue Officiel on Ernst Westphal's site, but they've revamped it and it's no longer there.  These come up on eBay or you can buy an electronic copy.  Have thought about it a few times, but then thought that mostly I'm looking things up because I like the challenges that others set! Other sources may be available, but see here http://www.watchmakingbooks.com/ebooks---pdf-formatted-books.php#!/Swiss-Watch-Parts-Catalog-1955-edition-digitally-enhanced-PDF-eBook/p/19103710

Hi @bsoderling That sure looks like a '3' ... but it's actually a 'Z'. This then makes it a watch made by ZentRa.

Here's another watch by ZentRa with the symbol and the name of the company on the same dial to confirm this: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?13&ranfft&0&2usau&1259164803&

Here's some information on the ZentRa brand in general: https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Zentra 

This site mentions that ZentRa used PUW, A.Schild or Miverva movements in the main. I also guess that, as a German watch brand, they might have used other German movements which might help steer things in identifying your movement. Are there similarities to a Junghans 680.71 for instance??

Edited by WatchMaker

Hi,

I think we nailed it! 

The Ranfft link provided by Watchmaker also mentioned that Bifora movements were used by ZenTra and a quick search on Ranfft fo Bifora point me towards the Bifora 102/1 (without some jewels, just as mine) that seem pretty identical. 

So now on to finding a balance staff for Bifora 102 (may not be that easy ...)

Thanks guys for all the help here!

And if you have spare time to waste, there's always my two other id cases alive here on the forum... :-) 

Hi,
I think we nailed it! 
The Ranfft link provided by Watchmaker also mentioned that Bifora movements were used by ZenTra and a quick search on Ranfft fo Bifora point me towards the Bifora 102/1 (without some jewels, just as mine) that seem pretty identical. 
So now on to finding a balance staff for Bifora 102 (may not be that easy ...)
Thanks guys for all the help here!
And if you have spare time to waste, there's always my two other id cases alive here on the forum... :-) 

aaa8d2ecaca24955a35f02a964b2f02a.jpg

It’s a bifora 102

ecd0a676d33beba0aaf30cce2ed419ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, bsoderling said:

I think we nailed it! 

LOL! Great stuff! Feel free to spread the love with some 'Like' or 'Thanks' tags! :)

4 hours ago, bsoderling said:

And if you have spare time to waste, there's always my two other id cases alive here on the forum

Cheeky blighter! :biggrin: Okay ... when I get a spare 15 minutes I'll have a look for you. No promises mind!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WatchMaker said:

LOL! Great stuff! Feel free to spread the love with some 'Like' or 'Thanks' tags! :)

Cheeky blighter! :biggrin: Okay ... when I get a spare 15 minutes I'll have a look for you. No promises mind!

Thanks Watchmaker, I'll try to remember that. Not too used to likes and stuff like that. You're talking to a guy that doesn't even have a Facebook account, if you can believe that :)

And thanks to Busakaz. I presume the catalogue pages are from one these famous Bestfit or similar catalogues I hear so much about? In any case it's definitely my movement in there.

Regarding the balance staff, both Cousins and Balancestaffs.com refer to this as Ronda 370 whereas the catalogue and Ranfft calls it     U 371.

Ronda I know as a manufacturer of many items in this area but the "U" is one I don't have any reference to and would appreciate some education on.