Sausages

Last Christmas I was given a sausage making attachment for my food mixer.  It had lain unused ever since but yesterday i went to a place called Brockbushes Farm near Corbridge and spent a few hours learning the humble art of sausage making - and it was great fun. 

So you always start with the base of Pork Shoulder and then add rusk or breadcrumbs spices and water but then you can add your own special ingredients so I made some with Leek, Chilli and tomato and some more were made with apple and mustard.  You have got to let them lie for at least two days before cooking.

Anyone got any special ingredients suggestions - Moebius D5 and Naptha excluded though.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

Good Call George,

I quite like offal, though I draw the line at anything small and oval shaped.

I am partial to the humble haggis, and a bit of Black pud as well, never got the taste for,  is it Larne Sausage slice? or white pudding though. 

I used to get good Haggis from a butcher in Wooler but it is a bit far to go.  M&S used to sell MacSweens so that may be a starter.

Neat Malt Whisky and Haggis are a match made in Heaven !

Cheers,

Vic

(1) never got the taste for,  is it Larne Sausage slice?

(2) Neat Malt Whisky and Haggis are a match made in Heaven !

Hi Vic,

No. (1) is Lorne sausage, and like you I'm not too keen on it. I do like a white pudding though!

No. (2) I couldn't agree more!

Hi Vic,

I recently was cooking in a hurry and because time was of the essence, I just grabbed a piece of chicken breast and cut it in small pieces, then added a good amount of onions, nothing else. Then while it was cooking (all together) and on a whim, I added some Teriyaki Sauce (very small amount) and a handful of those olives stuffed with peppers plus the rest of the peppers in the same bottle (it was a small bottle and almost empty when I started). It came out amazingly good and in about 10 min. The Teriyaki was the key ingredient. I was wondering if you could use it in your sausages recipe.

Just a thought, I myself have never made sausages and wouldn't even know how to start! Part of my family traces its ancestry so somewhere in Alsace which at this point makes us beer and sausage lovers by inheritance if you go by the region's products but I've never learned the art! My father used to make wine after my grandfather's hobby (he was allergic to beer!) but I never learned the art either so there you have it, I'm voting for Asian ingredients!! :)

Edited by bobm12

Hello Bob,

That is an interesting idea.  The base that the sausage people use is always pork shoulder which is minced first.  Then Rusk and water and seasoning is added and then any special ingredients, it is all mixed together and put through the mincer again but this time with the tube attached which has been loaded with the skin for the sausage.  I am partial to teriyaki sauce as well as well as stuffed olives.  Teriyaki is basically soy sauce, Rice wine , Sugar, Garlic and ginger, all of which you could insert individually into a stir fry so all those would work well with pork.

I think you are onto something there and I will give it a shot.  Today I can try my sausages - hopefully they don't end up in the bin.

Cheers,

Vic