Hello from Northern California,

Wdc

Hello group, my name is Will (wdc). I am new to the forum after finding Marks channel on YouTube (by far the best online mentor).  Up untill a couple mouths ago my  experience with watches was how to wear them.

I should start by saying that I am semi-retired  from the oil & gas drilling industry owning my own businesses  thought South East Asia. The point is, could not be further from watchmaker and/or repair, although I am mechanically incline.

As a teen of the 70s, sometime back, I stumbled on vintage 1970 Seiko’s, particularly 6139, 6138 models. Short story, I decided to discreetly put together three sets of classics 1970 Seiko's, one for each of my son’s, to be given on my passing (hopefully many  years away). Being the hobby (and tool) type, I decided to do the restorations myself. 
So where am I now, and how did I get here?

• Started reading and watching everything I could on watch repair/maker (where I found Mark).
  • Purchased 65 junk movements to practice teardown, cleaning & assemblies i.e study fundamentals, part names, tweezer control, ID problems, etc.
  • Purchased Seiko calibers i.e. 7009, 6309, etc. To familiarize myself with my goal, vintage Seiko. Successfully servicing.
  • During this time I have pursued 25+ 6139, 6138 classics i.e. 6139-600X, Pogue, UFO, Rally, Sushi, etc., 6138 Bullhead, Kakume, ect..
  • Just today,  tore down & cleaned my first 6139, preparing for assembly. Restoring a 6139-6005 Pogue.

So with that said, I look forward to meeting members and drawing from the vast experience of seasoned members. 
As once said by the great Mark Twain “ If I Had More Time, I Would Have Written a Shorter Letter”

Regards,
Will

20181009_170949_1543379697049.jpg

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I am looking forward to participating & contributing to the forum.

I should make a make a correction to my introduction where it states “ During this time I have pursued 25+ 6139, 6138 classics…” , should read, “I have purchased  25+ classics”.  Not sure how to edit post yet as I am not seeing an edit button in my post window.

My goal is to restore around 20 for each of my three sons, before my imposed deadline. That said, I thought I better stop and focus on the repair & restoration side of things. Make sure I did not bite off more than I could chew, lol.

Looking forward to chatting shop with the group.

Regards,