Seiko SKX 009 movement

I have an SKX 009 that I really like. I would like to upgrade it and replace the movement 7S26 by a better one.

I beleive I have the option to use NH35 from Seiko.

Do you have any suggestion ? can I replace by an ETA movement?

Many thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

May I also submit my curiosity in terms of why you'd want to do this sir?  if the watch works currently it seems like a hell of an effort to end up with a watch that......still works.

"Because i feel like it" and "because it would be fun" both perfectly credible answers by the way :)

But, how about trying to find a dead one?  OR, buy the bits and construct one?

:biggrin: I brought the seiko SKX009 15 years ago . I loved this watch....... But......!

Last year the watch stop working . I sent it to Seiko service center . it came back with few issues .

No more water proof, and the watch was stopping if not use for 3 or 4 hours.

The color of the aluminium bezel was completely gone.    Because I love this watch I decided to give it a 2nd life, but a better life. I order a ceramic bezel (blue and Red), a dome sapphire glass and I decided to look for a better movement. I found the NH36A ( had a good review) and decided to replace the existing 50% working movement. I did also purchase a new bracelet ( better quality ) 

All I need to do now is to change the movement ( and replace the day wheel as mentioned above)

I have many watches ( and few expensive one) . I do have more pleasure wearing my seiko skx so I do what needs to be done to give her a second life that I can enjoy every day.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:22 AM, MattWatch said:

May I also submit my curiosity in terms of why you'd want to do this sir?  if the watch works currently it seems like a hell of an effort to end up with a watch that......still works.

Hand in the air and waving wildly.....The NH36/4R36 movements ("A" suffix means Day & Date) hacks and winds whereas the  7S26 does neither.  I have wondered if they were interchangeable.  I have one untouched 4R36A couple of years old that is a daily driver keeping within a couple seconds since last weeks setting.

There seems to be some disparity about the stems.  Most 7S26 watches have the 4 o'clock stem and 4R36 is at 3.  I have seen recent offerings with a stem at 3 o'clock which do not hack/wind.  Any clarification would be welcome.

Great website pointer jurowla. I've been on the search for options regarding my Seiko SKX007 and that site will definitely provide some options. If you wish your watch to remain original, 7S26 movements are still available new and as they were produced by the bazillions, many donor watches are available if you opt to go that route. 

Our favorite on-line flea market has numerous examples of both watches and movements for you to acquire if you like.