Intro and questions

Anthony1979

Hello. Im Anthony. I am a watch collector and i install batteries, size bands, and do simple repairs. I am working on an at home system for buffing plastic, glass, and crystal lenses. A friend recently gave me a Tag Heuer tiger woods Link watch. He has given up after breaking 3 links. I am looking for help making this watch wearable. I watched a couple videos and learned how these links work, and after getting the remaining links apart, it appears the band is a lost cause, as there is rust between the split in each link, and the bars that attach them are damaged and brittle. Now I know why he gave it away. I would like to figure out how to remove the entire band, and go another route. Perhaps modifying a leather band to fit. I am not looking to buy more expensive links. I am considering a new Link band, but I dont have the cash to put into this at this time. Just looking for advice. I will try to attach pics of this watch. Thank you. Nice to meet you all.

20181126_200418.jpg

I am having trouble taking off the first link on each side. I cant find and info or videos that show removal of the entire band. I have found videos for adjusting these bands, but nothing about whole band replacement or simple removing the first links or the pieces that the links attach to. I dont want to declare this a lost cause. The watch face looks great and runs good too. Do I have any options here beyond buying a new band? 

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

I do not think that bracelet will fit you watch. I has a different design to fit your watch case. Are there any pins you can push out at the case side. A photo of the case turned over might help, are there any holes at the side of the case in line with the bracelet?

there are no holes on the case. removing the first set of links, so that another band can be installed, seems to be the primary problem. I think this watch may be a replica. The bracelet that came with it looks very convincing. But the way it has rusted and broken at several links makes me wonder. furthermore, i cant find the model number, but when i find the watch online it seems to be a copy of WJF2113. The primarily reason I am looking for an alternative band, instead of selling it as is, is because i doubt its authenticity. It was given to me. I buy and sell alot of watches online, but i wont sell a watch that is not certainly authentic. Having bought several lots at estate sales and ebay, i have acquired several knockoffs. i have replicas of TAG, Movado, and Rolex, which just sit there as 2 are ladies watches and the rolex is too low quality to wear. cant sell them, so the only thing i can do (at least in this case) is try to get it wearable. i cant afford a TAG. My best watch is a movado. hoping theres some way to make this wearable, and either give it back to my friend or maybe trade, if its worth keeping. the face is real nice and runs good.  pics are attached.

20181127_153809.jpg

20181127_153816.jpg

20181127_153835.jpg

20181126_202731.jpg

I forgot to mention: I thought maybe buying a bracelet like this would allow me to simply borrow the links needed to complete the band. the links (purchased seperately) a very costly, and i need at least 3. not to mention, I expect the links i have to xontinue to break down. i will attach pics of some of them. even the unbroken links are rusted and look like they wont hold up. I have seen the leather replacement bands sold for TAG Link watches. im not gonna pay several hundred $ for one of these, but i think i can reproduce the effect by modifying a leather band of my own. If only i could get the last links off the face of the watch. thx for replying. I know alot of people would say to throw this away, but the guy loved it b4 it started breaking on him, and not all of us can afford to buy a watch like this. thx

20181127_160946.jpg

20181127_161037.jpg

I didn,t see one specifically made for Tag, though amazon sell ones specifically made for a brand or iconic , popular watches.

My tablet acts like it got virus and can,t send you the link. I shouldn,t post either before getting my tab to hospital.

Just google the bold words in my pervious msg to you, adding the word amazon, good selection of them pops up.

I recommend you see what is readily available, before you embark on drilling.

Regards joe.

yes, i searched amazon and did find this setup for TAG Kirium, just none for Tag Link. I will search other sites. If u do happen to find it, a link would be much appreciated. I believe the spring bars holding the first set of links are rusted in. It seems to have been confirmed that they can be removed like any other watch. I will attempt to remove them more aggresively. I was considering embedding these links into a nice leather band, a setup i have seen for sale, at outrageous prices. I will continue to pursue a way to wear this without dumping money into it. any further help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Hi your latest pics show that bracelet on eBay could fit (I'm 93% sure) if the lugs measure 20mm. But that bracelet looks repairable, provided this is the pin thickness you need https://www.esslinger.com/knurled-pressure-link-pin-assortment-1-3mm-thick-refill-sizes/

You could polish out the scratches with some black polish at high speed with medium hand pressure (avoid the edges or you'll loose them, maybe tape them) the heat from the high speed anneals the metal and makes the scratches fill in, use a loose sewed flap wheel. Then wash it with dish soap and polish light pressure with blue plastic polish on another flap wheel. Maybe practice on a cheaper watch first!

The push pins can be removed with a tiny screwdriver. If there rusted stuck a few light hits with Jewelers hammer might work it loose. You should probably spray a tiny amount of PB blaster or 3 drops of ATF. I think your friend lived on the ocean.

What kind of movement does that watch have? It looks real.

• 2 weeks later...

well i got this watch pretty well squared away. once fully disassembled (which was a rusted nitemare), I was able not only fit an invicta band, but also make a prototype of a rubber band. I wanted to practice with rubber, before cutting into an expensive leather band. tbh, im happy with the invicta band. i was able to still use the TAG buckle. see pics. thanks

20181209_005632.jpg

20181209_010537.jpg

20181212_010043.jpg

20181212_010108.jpg