americus swiss movement- winding troubles

cduke

Hello All,

My latest find is a deco watch with an americus movement which as I have been able to tell is a garden variety swiss movement that was imported under the americus name sometime in the 30's or 40's . Problem with this watch is that when I turn the stem in the winding position, all gears are set in motion. It was working fine, I had removed the stem to do some case work and when I put the stem back in, this problem resulted.  Any thoughts on what I may have done?

Thanks for all your continued help.

IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6869.JPG

Just by the looks I would guess it's an AS 984 or some in that family.They came from 10.5" to 12.5"
When you say every gear is set in motion I assume you mean the drive train  too? If that the case you have two choices as I see it.
1. Either pin on the escapement wheel has snapped.
2. If the escapement wheel is turning too then either pin on the pallet fork has snapped of or it is not aligned.
Just some thoughts on the moving gears.

Edited by HSL
  • Thanks 2

The hairspring stud holds the hairspring attached to the ballance bridge. 

The hairspring should be coiled concentric and level. 

Check the fork arbor pivots, pallets, escape wheel and its pivots and all train gears.

Regards joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

The hairspring stud holds the hairspring attached to the ballance bridge. 

The hairspring should be coiled concentric and level. 

Check the fork arbor pivots, pallets, escape wheel and its pivots and all train gears.

Regards joe

Hairspring ... of course.  Thanks for the tips.  I will look at these tonight.  

16 hours ago, HSL said:

Just by the looks I would guess it's an AS 984 or some in that family.They came from 10.5" to 12.5"
When you say every gear is set in motion I assume you mean the drive train  too? If that the case you have two choices as I see it.
1. Either pin on the escapement wheel has snapped.
2. If the escapement wheel is turning too then either pin on the pallet fork has snapped of or it is not aligned.
Just some thoughts on the moving gears.

yes. The escapement wheel spins as does the rest of the drive train. It appears like the pallet fork has snapped.  Thanks for the diagnosis. Not sure how that happened.  This movement might become parts as I suspect a pallet fork will be tough to find.

Thank you very much.

If you got the case for the movement I think it would be a shame to scrap it, as of a chance I think I have just the pallet fork you need..

This has a bad balance with an end shake with a distance halfway to the moon, but otherwise all good.

Movement.jpg

4 hours ago, HSL said:

If you got the case for the movement I think it would be a shame to scrap it, as of a chance I think I have just the pallet fork you need..

This has a bad balance with an end shake with a distance halfway to the moon, but otherwise all good.

Movement.jpg

Thanks HSL.  How much do you want for it?  I agree that it would be a shame but I don't think these watches have much value.  The case is very similar to the hamilton piping rock deco style that was very popular long ago.