DMS

Crystal/movement Replacment

Question

I own a Seiko watch which is quite a number of years old and my grandson, aged 5 took it out without me knowing and has smached the crystal on the watch.  How do I go about sizing it, and where should I look for the Crystal?

On a second question, I would like to replace an automatic movement from a VOKEN watch,  that has a lot of damaged, with a new movement, the watch has a day/date and has these numbers on the back plate;  V6 8W     4V-00009 ..  How do I go about sizing this up and making sure that it will fit with the day date the right way round, Also where could I order one from.

I know that you gentlemen have a lot of experiance between you, and I hope you can help this amature out of this situation.

Thank you all very much.

David.

Edited by DMS

6 answers to this question

There's a lot of confusion about Voken - some say it's a Russian make, others a Japanese - and others a Japanese movement in a Russian-made watch...

My guess is that it's a Japanese movement, but it's fairly obscure stuff from the '70s or '80s...

Hi David,

About the Seiko, there is a number on the case should look like 7S26- XXXX. the first for letters/numbers are the movement caliper and the last 4 numbers/letters (represented by X) is the case type. With those numbers you can order the right crystal. Here in US I either go to Esslinger or to ofrei....

The other watch I'm not familiar with. In any case, if you could post pictures of both it would be very helpful.

Bob

For the Seiko watch the numbers on the back read; 7123 - 8540-P G,  The crystal that's on there at the moment is flat and not domed so should I order a flat one or domed one as WRT Addict suggests?

Thank you.

David.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BriGuy
      Hi, I’m trying to replace the crystal on this expedition.  I have pulled the stem and the movement. The crystal was shattered. It seems to be a 29.5mm crystal with a 1mm depth. I don’t see a gasket. How would I apply the new crystal? Does it press without a gasket?
      Thank you for any help provided!
      Brian 

• By jackie01
      Hello guys. This is my last project – Seiko 6139-6010 aka Bruce Lee. Watch is from ‘69and it is based on the 6139A movement. Nice shot for the 50th Seiko anniversary of first automatic chronograph development. So please see the pictures below from all restoration proces. It took me 3-4 evenings.
      The watch came to me as non runner. Crystal was scratchy with many chips. Dial was dirty and dusty with signs of water damages. Hands lost their lume. Day calendar was loosen and didn’t work properly. Movement was complete but very dirty and dry – there weren’t any residues of old oil in the jewels. Somewhere were signs of water flood. I dissasembled movement and I gave it a bath in ultrasonic cleaner then i’ve assembled and oiled movement. Star disk od date wheel was repaird with small amouth of resin glue. Movement had tend to stop sometimes. Inspection showed that the tiny chip on the bottom pivot of the escape wheel. It was hard to see it. After replacment movement ran as a champ. I polished the hands cause there was rust and gave them new lume. Dial was cleaned. I didn’t touch the lume on the hours indexes. I was affraid to screw up it. I think now it is quite good despite the fact that the lume does not glow. Orginal crystal was polished but I decide that in the future I will replace it. Case and caseback got some polish works only with polishing paste, not too much cause I didn’t want to loose the sharpnes of orginal edges – as usual I did it. Bracelet was matted with abrasive wool. Everything was mix up and combined and there is the result.
      After measurments on timegrapher and adjustment it is a nice timekeeper. An amplitude satisfy me as well. Now I am enjoy to wear it.
      Please let me know what do you think of this restoration project and about my works on it. I appreciate your comment and your spend time. Cheers folks

VID_20191016_170551.mp4 VID_20191017_195141.mp4
    • By jackie01
      Hello guys,
      I want to show you my lately restoration project. This time it was a Seiko 7015-8000 with blue dial. Watch came to me in very poor condition. As you can see on photos the case was scratchty, crystal was totaly tarnished with deep scratches. Everywhere was dirt, gunk and mud...yuck. Movement was running and stopping with very low amplitude. After opened the caseback I wasn't suprised - it looked like as case - dirt and signs of wear. Rotor was loose and fall out the case. When I take off the crystall I saw dial which had faded Seiko logo, some scratches and hands which lost their lume.

Next step was strip down the movement - everywhere dirt and dry old oil. Time to cleaning bath

Look at this - it's my temporary balance wheel stand - I suspect that from temporary it will be permanent. It does job well.

After cleaning it's time to assembly movement. Now it looks better - maybe not pristine but clean and shiny. New oil here and there and movement starts to run. Now it's time for bench testing before install it to the case.

Meanwhile I took care of the case, dial and hands. Case got some polishing work - not to much cause I didn't want to loose the sharpness of edges. That is effect:

Dial and hands got new lume - I am not perfect in this work but I still learn to do this. Additional the seconds hand was repainted to orange color. I didn't change the crystall but i just polished it with waterpaper and on the end polish paste. Effect suprissed me. Time for the  pleasant work - putting this all pieces together into the watch.

VID_20190927_195610.mp4

• By Mazboy
      I'm a complete newbie and want to learn how to dismantle and re-build watches, specifically Seiko's. 
      Any suggestions on what movement to use as my first independent project to practice on and make loads of mistakes?  Struggling to find recommendations on the different movements to use as a complete beginner and as my skills improve.  Should i stick to only Seiko's or broaden my horizons?
      Cheers
      Maz
      https://www.instagram.com/timeformaz
    • By Lorenz
      Hey guys, my name is Lorenz. I am an 18 year old electrical engineering student from Germany. 
      I got this Breitling chronospace a56012.1 from my granddad and I want to repair it.
      Besides a slight clicking noise while turning the crown ( someone please let me know if this is normal ) it works just fine.
      My main problem is that the black color on the Bezel is worn out on some positions and I dont know where to find a paint that holds on the metal nor do I know how to paint it again.
      I have worked with watches already, I disassembled a mechanical movement cleaned and oiled it again so I feel pretty confident in doing this job.
      And I would also like to change out the crystal, does anyone know what size crystal I need for this watch?
      Thanks in regards for any advice.