Omega 176.007 Crystal fitting

AlexeiJ1

Hi everyone,

I bravely agreed to restore a Omega 176.007 1040 cal seamaster for a mate for free. I have rebuilt the chrono movement and it works a treat. I had to deal with 3 broken bloody screws in the upper plate. Each time had to dissasemble and press out the carriers and luckily had a spare come in time.

My problem is the NOS hesalite crystal and bezel - it fits without bezel easily but pressing in with the bezel is not easy.

I dont have an omega tool. I have a simple press but it is crappy chinese quality.

Is there a quick way to press in the crystal. I've considered gently removing some material off the bezel - maybe a hair thickness to ease installation.

Advice? Cheers.

Alex

Alex I think that cal of Omega is fitted with a tension ring crystal. Also the original Omega crystals have a Omega logo holographed into into its glass much the the same as Rolex does. If I am correct then follow this vid.

PS reducing the crystal size is not a good idea as it will effect it's water resistance. 

• Like 1

Well..... On my vostok amphibia I went out into the shed and selected a socket that most closely matched the size of the crystal ..I covered it with a piece of plastic and put it in my drill press.pressing the chuck into the back of the socket I pressed the crystal in. I don't know enough about your Omega to suggest you do this, but it worked for me.Other than buying the correct tool, it might be time to pay the piper. I don't think you are messing with a five dollar crystal.

Edited by yankeedog
content