Voston Amphibia into a #53 Komandirskie case

jimzilla

What I would like to do is install a 2416 or 2415 movement out of a Vostok Amphibia into a #53 Komandirskie case. I know the movement will be skewed in the case, but, I am concerned about the crown stem length and if the crown threads are the same and other problems I may run into. I do not have either of the cases or movements to compare to so I am asking in advance to see if it can be done and if there are any parts I need to find/order.
Thank you in advance, jimzilla.

Hello Jimzilla;

Unfortunately you posted your question under the wrong chapter, but these days that seems all okay, so not to worry ;)

To answer your question(s); Vostoks are extremely versatile and one can do a lot with them, hence I'm a big fan of these watches. However in this (#53) case your wish is not going to be fulfilled :( The 2415 and 2416 do have an automatic winding system, which do increase the height of the movement and therefor they do not fit in a Komandirskie #53 case. With the correct spacer-ring they may drop in, but there is "no-way" you get the back-lid back on.

The larger Amphibian crown doesn't fit on the small #53 case crown fitting either. However you could use the original #53 case crown & stem to fit the movement.

As for the dials, you are limited in dial choice which do have the correct dial-feet position, but of course you can modify any other Vostok dial and make them fit.

For the Komandirskie #53 case it's either the 2409 or the 2414 movement, which IMHO, do run (after some adjustments) even more accurately than the 2415 or 2416

Suc6 B)

• Like 1

Thank you Endeavor for the tek. I will be on the lookout for 2409 and 2414 movements as well as some other parts, thank you and

best regards, James.

P.S......  In case you are interested Endavor I invented a little tool out of a Vostok Case back to polish the cases and crystal's on vostok's

They work well and you pr1555361860_CBM1(394x525).jpg.831abc40bd72cad40418b8f20135b837.jpgobably have all the parts just laying around!

CBM0 (444x600).jpg

CBM7 (375x500).jpg

CBM10 (498x500).jpg

CBM12 (475x422).jpg

• Like 1

A smart idea ! What do you use inside the back-lid to polish with?

The 2409 (no date) and the 2414 (with date) and not hard to get. If possible try to get a new Komandirskie, the whole package comes (with a bit of luck) cheaper than just a movement. My experience with used watches / movements is that they (nearly all) never been serviced and therefor their timekeeping is not as good. Most of my 2409 and 2414 run within 5 sec/day.

VWatchie is also into Vostoks and here a link to our collection;

And yes, the Amphibian hands will fit on the 2409 and the 2414. Broadly speaking the 2415 and 2416 are 2409 and 2414 with additional automatic winding. Quite a few, not all, parts are interchangeable. Hands and dials are.

The 2409 and 2414 movement with fit Komandirskie and the Ampibian housings (different spacer rings). The Amphibian housings do have 3x different winding stem-length; the 420-housing the shortest and if I well remember the 110-housing has the longest winding stem.

Long stem length;

506186246_StemLong23_05mm.thumb.jpg.4d3d2cd1da559a235dfd3bd92ad731b6.jpg

Medium stem length;

500678348_StemMedium22.3mm060_120.thumb.jpg.0fc3120a53ea3ad6c7abe4c69285505f.jpg

Short stem length;

252241998_StemShort21_3mm.thumb.jpg.cc7f5cf15809e4850d2f6e5dd958306b.jpg

Through time I have a drawer full of movements, parts and housings. I'n not so keen on the Komandirskie housings as I like the 200mtr waterproof of the Amphibians and they are Stainless Steel, so you can polish them without problems ;)

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2

Thanks again you are very helpful to this noob. If anyone is interested I will post a link to my Vostok Caseback Tool.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/vostok-caseback-mandrel-tool-4826843.html

Thanks again Endeavor.

Edited by jimzilla
add text
  • Like 1

Ah, now I get it :thumbsu: It literally "speeds up" the process ! I'm going to build one; thanks a lot ;)

I always knew the WUS had a big Vostok fan-base unlike, I'm said to say, on this forum. But, so far I haven't discovered on WUS that they go in-depth into watch repair, what they do on this forum :)

Am I wrong in my observations?

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2018 at 2:18 PM, SteveT said:

I love Russian watches.

I would love to see Mark do a tear-down on a Vostok movement like he did recently with the Chinese clone 2824. 

Maybe even a 3133 or 3017. The problem is finding parts, as they are not so readily available compared to the "simple" 2414/2416/etc.

Edited by 24h

On 11/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, Endeavor said:

Ah, now I get it :thumbsu: It literally "speeds up" the process ! I'm going to build one; thanks a lot ;)

I always knew the WUS had a big Vostok fan-base unlike, I'm said to say, on this forum. But, so far I haven't discovered on WUS that they go in-depth into watch repair, what they do on this forum :)

Am I wrong in my observations?

Seems pretty accurate from my limited observations. I just completed my first watch overhaul. An ebay lot of four vostoks, two 2409a's became one. I'm getting into watch repair because its not cost effective to get these watches fixed professionally. I got some practice pieces before I tackle my more beloved Vostoks.

+1 for a Russian watch lover on this forum.

• Like 1