Longines 12,68 balance wheel wobble

rogart63

There are videos on Youtube on how to poise a watch balance. I cannot find a video on how to straighten a balance wheel. It depends what the balance is made off, some are so brittle they cannot be straightened and just break, many just crack. Have you tried to buy a replacement? or is it obsolete. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

There are videos on Youtube on how to poise a watch balance. I cannot find a video on how to straighten a balance wheel. It depends what the balance is made off, some are so brittle they cannot be straightened and just break, many just crack. Have you tried to buy a replacement? or is it obsolete. 

Seen them to. But's was the use to have a balance tool like this if you can't straighten it.  At least a little.  I guess if you do it in the tool the pivots will bend or break. Btw i bought this old tool  this yesterday. Had a wobbly Enicar/AR balance yesterday. Okay it worked but would have been great to fix some of the wooble. 

290013518_046859ab-6295-430e-a254-590aedf7ab8c.jpg.ea4cc4cc06f806f0562b09393c321d4d.jpg

Edited by rogart63

The tool should be made in a way that it supports the staff on the conical area not the pivots. There are oddball variations. Supported on that area you can use a surprising amount of force on the rim of the balance. Fried's book and others cover it well, I'm sure DeCarle, Chicago or Bulova school texts, it's a common procedure.