2832-2 Problem with Minute Train Bridge #462

Folkvisor

Hi

For some reason, after the minute train bridge #462 is replaced, when setting the time:

the setting wheel #450 slips

and the sliding pinion #407 cannot continue to engage the gears of #450

This doesn't happen when #462 is removed only when it is replaced.

Perhaps the minute train bridge is bent and needs to be replaced.

Thank you for your input.

Dave

IMG_0585.thumb.JPG.271d80cf0cbebe9b8f80c152d28bb458.JPG

I don't really have any answer for this ... just didn't want you to think you were being ignored!

Here's a pic of your movement (or at least the same series) with bridge #462 in place...

image.png.0a0ada24e3a869f96e4dba58e46f2748.png

From what you're saying it's like the setting wheel #450 (adjacent to date 14 in the picture) isn't 'meshing' properly ... but oddly when the bridge is in place. If anything I'd expect the opposite of this e.g. if testing a reassembly without the bridge to hold things in place then a wheel could jump. But in place? ... the bridge should be holding all that area together in place!

So it could be that the bridge is deformed somehow (but this would be apparent under close inspection) ... I guess you could screw down a half-turn at a time and see at which point things fail to check this hypothesis. Also check the screw holding the bridge; I've had a situation in the past where a movement had three screws holding a (train) bridge and where one was a slightly different length; in the wrong place this caused issues. Highly unlikely in the case of your single screw holding the bridge but ... !

Sorry I can't really add anything and I hope you sort this out! How frustrating!

You described the problem perfectly! LOL

Yes, it's a poser. I asked a watchmaker friend about it and he told me he'd never experienced it.

He just said, "Maybe the train bridge needs to be replaced." Perhaps, but there is no sign of it being bent or anything. 

Strange. It just started to do it one day; no idea why. I want to get it working properly before I tackle anything more complex.

Thank you for your answer. 

It might be worth watching the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG4XhhB6xAs at around 10:15 in and then again at 11:15 in just to double check the assembly/workings around this area. Okay so Mark is working on a 2824 clone but  it should be the same parts as your 2832. 

Is, for instance, the double corrector lever that the setting wheel sits on definitely seated correctly and able to move freely? If not this might be another explanation where the pressure of the bridge is enough to prevent the necessary/correct lever action to engage the setting wheel..

Yes, good idea. Thank you. I've watched it a few times before I had this problem and I will give it another go.

I, too, was wondering if it had something to do with the double corrector lever; I will check that. Thank you for corroborating my suspicions...

It may well be the problem but could that happen out of the blue when the watch is being worn?

I still think it's strange...

I hate to admit this but, when I made a closer examination of the keyless works, I found a small red thread and some other stuff that shouldn’t have been in there. I could see that the thread was definitely interfering with the setting wheel. 

I’m pretty sure cleaning the parts and reassembling it more cleanly and carefully will fix the problem. 

So, I guess it really is important to make sure you keep movements clean.