Grandfather Clock - Urgos - different model

Folkvisor

I probably should know this but what is the difference between 'sets itself in beat' and 'self regulating'?

It is happily ticking away and I can't hear a double tick or tock...

Anyway, I could only really hear the double 'tock' when I used an old stethoscope my doctor friend gave me.

There is no such thing as a self-regulating clock.

A clock that sets its self in beat normally has a friction tight crutch, which can be attached by it being threaded onto the pallet shaft. I have also come across modern ways like the movement you have been working on. Many of those French movements you get in those very heavy slate cases have self-beat movements.   

I guess I just made the mistake of thinking a clock that set itself in beat was 'self regulating'...

I take it that, if a pendulum has a friction tight crutch it can set itself in beat little by little due to its being able to move on the pallet shaft in order to allow an even swing.

I noticed that the French clock I was working on is sitting on a mantle that isn't at all level and it needs to be turned sideways to work properly. If its nice and straight on the shelf it is noticeably out of level and refused to work for more than an hour.

Self-beat pendulum clocks. Regarding how can you tell I put it down to experience. The feel of the crutch on the pallet shaft and the fitting. If it is a screw on fit it is more than likely self-beat. That is with most French clocks. Not so much with German clocks. The really old antique English clocks almost never unless it is by a renowned maker or inventor. American not very often. Modern clocks, the makers come up with so many different ways of design it is potluck.  

Every time I work on a new clock I feel a bit like I did when Bill, the master tech I apprenticed with, sent me out to do a job. It was always a bit of an adventure and I was always a bit nervous even though he always told me he wouldn't have me do a job that he didn't think I could do.

The French Marble Clock by Nicolas M. Thorpe

Early French Pendulum Clocks, 1658 - 1700 known as Pendules Religieuses This is about early clockmaking in France.

Carriage Clocks: Their History and Development by Charles Allix This is the bible on such clocks.

Expensive so look around for best price. It covers Carriage Clocks from around the world not just French

Repairing French Pendulum Clocks by Steven Conover

Here is a small pdf you might like about The French Clock

Dean-french.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you. You’re a wealth of information. 

If you ever need to know how to regulate a Steinway ask away...LOL Steinway repetition springs are a bit of bother and you need special tools for setting let off which, of course, cost more money, etc...

I’ll see which of the books you suggest I buy is listed on the internet and go from there.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Who knows. That 3 month waiting time might happen here. I get a lot of calls but I only work on one at a time and sometimes I like to have the clock working for a week before I get it back to the customer. 

I have a mantle clock that strikes the hour correctly for 3 or 4 days and then starts acting up and striking up to 30 times. Any ideas?

I would check the warning and if works by pins make sure they are secure. If it is behaving like it after the warning then the strike could be out and causing it not to stop the strike. Is it German, French, American or English? A photo would be nice. At the moment it is a shot in the dark.

• 2 weeks later...