Bulova date indicator

Stevelp

Hi everyone!  So I recently pick up a Bulova Set-O-Matic with a AS-2066 movement.  The watch was not working when I got it but after a cleaning everything seems to be working great.  The only issue I’m having is that the date does not seem to switch when the watch passes 12 o clock.  The day of the week changes just fine when passing 12 o clock.  When I manually set the hands past 12 still no luck.  The only way I can change the date is by the quick set feature.  I came across a second AS-2066 that also does this.  Is it coincidence that they both do it or is it by design?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The date should change! I agree it's odd you have two of the same movements exhibiting the same behaviour but one of the reasons I'm replying is that I'm working on an AS 2063 based watch where both the watch and a spare 2063 have the same problem of the quickset not working! Maybe this AS series has some inherent fragility around the date change mech in general?

Anyway it looks like you have little choice but to tackle the dial side and investigate the mech. This is a useful photo ... https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/media?image=P1030810.JPG&email=&wat_id=2180 ... and you'll primarily need to monitor the operation of the date change device (bottom left in the photo) to check it is pushing the date forward.

• Like 1

so for the series of As  watches I have a parts list attached. Then the Bulova does it have a model number sometimes they had better tech sheets?

Out of curiosity I googled and there is a minor problem in that set O-Matic comes up as a whole variety of different watches which really isn't very helpful. But on one site which I'm giving a link for below they have a description of  1972 Bulova Jet Star Caliber 11BSACB (AS 2066) . so for the Bulova 11BSACB there is a technical guide so I'm attaching that.  It has a rather nice description of how the day date mechanism works how to put together and troubleshooting tips.

https://ambwatches.com/tag/as-2066/

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_2066

645_as2060,1,2,6,4,6.pdf

Bulova 11BSACB.pdf

• Like 1

Hi everyone!  So I recently pick up a Bulova Set-O-Matic with a AS-2066 movement.  The watch was not working when I got it but after a cleaning everything seems to be working great.  The only issue I’m having is that the date does not seem to switch when the watch passes 12 o clock.  The day of the week changes just fine when passing 12 o clock.  When I manually set the hands past 12 still no luck.  The only way I can change the date is by the quick set feature.  I came across a second AS-2066 that also does this.  Is it coincidence that they both do it or is it by design?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I was having the same issue with my eterna sonic, after cleaning and service it would only change when i quickset the date, i tried to remove the crown and reinsert it carefully and voila, i think it was the stem that got stuck in the wrong 1/100 mm to far out but im guessing here, anyway that did the trick, sometimes magic takes over,no reason no explanation, just magic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Latvas!  Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.  I'll take out the crown and give it a go!

Its worth a try, and then go to sleep , and hope that tomorrow is not just groooound hog day again [emoji1787] , but hey if it was easy everybody would do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alright!  Got it figured out!  WatchMaker that photo was extremely helpful in finding my issue.  Having never had one of these movements apart I installed the indicated piece incorrectly.  I now find out it is the unlock yoke for the date wheel.  I installed it as shown it the picture and away it went!  Thanks everyone for all the help!  This forum is a great place!  Always learning everyday!

0110C868-A429-459D-A7A5-0535011F85DC.jpeg

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted. :thumbsu:

When starting out it's a really good idea to take photos as you go along as these can be invaluable when reassembling! What seems obvious when dismantling isn't always so days later on reassembly!

Lots of good advice given by others in this posting too so remember to give 'Likes' or 'Thanks' as you see fit <_<

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey friends! I'm having the very same problem, BUT, everything looks correctly installed. Actually I think my problem is in the jumper (red circled), because if I disengage that and turn the crown to make the day change using the hands, the unlocking yoke (blue circled) is working properly. IMG_20211128_171446.thumb.jpg.16434fd6c66244f3267c06271199d832.jpg

Do anyone have an idea on what could be happening?

When is should switch the date it get stuck in this position:

IMG_20211128_211315.thumb.jpg.09243840d38aef234339c7091c81ee5e.jpg

PD: the attached picture with the red and blue circles has been done while disassembling the watch, that's why it was so dirty and the spring wasn't installed. Now everything is clean and properly oiled.

Thanks!

@jdm I thought using this same topic was a good idea, if not I'll move this on a new topic 😉

Edited by ElioBD13

I modified your image hopefully you can see what I'm trying to show you. I'm pretty sure your spring is totally in the wrong position. You need to flip it over and then put it over the red circular part. The long part should push on the backside of the jumper and the short part will just push on the cut out of the plate. At least that's where I would put it.

date jumper spring Bulova.JPG

I spotted that too, but when I read on, I realized that was supposed to be during disassembly. The last photo shows the detent spring to be in the correct position.

I would check that the detent lever is able to move freely, then check that the date wheel is able to rotate with minimal resistance. Then keep rotating the date wheel to see if certain positions feel tighter or looser. This would indicate that the date wheel might be damaged.

Thanks @JohnR725 and @HectorLooi to take some time to answer 😉

As Hector said, I took that picture while disassembling the watch and that's why the spring wasn't installed properly.

Yesterday I was checking again the issue and 2 times over 5 attempts the date disc jumped correctly. That makes me pretty sure that everything is installed properly. 

I'm totally confused :S