Mainspring Sizing

Lawren5

I need to find a replacement mainspring for a Ball pocket watch which uses the Hamilton 992B movement. The broken mainspring measures 2.82 mm wide, 0.16 mm thick/strength and 23.5 inches long. The closest replacement I can find has all the right specifications except that it is only 20.75 inches long, nearly 3 inches shorter. Would using a short mainspring present any problems?

I don't think the 534B will work because it has a width of 3.0mm whereas the broken mainspring measured 2.82 mm. The 534-718047 with a 2.80mm width is the one I've been considering and should work if the shorter length is not a problem.

what was bothering me in the back of my mind is I worked on a ball watch and there were some differences and I just can't remember what they were? then before you remove the mainspring did it seem like there was additional space in the barrel for something wider? It's unlikely that they made a custom mainspring for the watch so it would have to be one of the Hamilton mainsprings. so I'm giving you the complete Hamilton 16 size section so you can see what once was available and what is currently available hopefully.

ham-ms.JPG

ham-mb.JPG

usually the thicker part of the barrel lid isn't a problem because if you put the arbor in the lid that corresponds to that diameter.

I have an image from the 1946 Hamilton material catalog. Basically were down to they used the mainspring for the Hamilton 992 not Hamilton 992B. You notice in the catalog here when it came to end style both the 534 and the 534B are for motor barrels. 

so looking at eBay searching for 992 mainspring keeps coming up with 992B mainspring but I did find a couple in 992 and at least one of them is a white spring which typically makes it newer. The older blued spring is depending upon who made them can hold up and be very nice condition or they can be set and occasionally they get rusty not always noticed by the seller.  Of course getting the white spring means that while you have a whole bunch of choices a very long time ago typically on the modern spring they've consolidated all those choices down to 1  maybe 2  if you're lucky.

Hamilton 1946 catalog mainspring list.JPG