vintage citizen movement. disassembly

east3rn

Hello dear watch repairers.

I am disassembling a vintage citizen caliber 0200.

It is a manual wind caliber with 21 jewels.

I usually do not have much problem disassembling simple movement like this.

However, the rachet wheel screw is very stiff and won't move at all.

I tried to unscrew it anti-clockwise with nicely fitting screwdriver but it is stuck.

Actually I have an bad experience with a citizen movement like this before.

It was cal.1801, very similar to 0200 and only difference was the date function. 

I had same issue with the rachet wheel screw and I ended up breaking the screw. The head part of the screw came apart.

Is this a typical issue with citizen calibers?? or am I doing it wrong??

Please help me out!

Citizen_0200.jpg

caliber 0200.

23.jpg.ba3c5f2af28e376b01a2e922cbcf7271.jpg

Edited by east3rn

1 hour ago, JohnHutchins said:

Doesn't the triple slot screw indicate that it is reverse threaded and requires unscrewing in a clockwise direction?

Agreed, that is what it looks like to me. I have never seen that screw with left hand thread BUT, the screw head does indicate that it is.

44 minutes ago, rduckwor said:

Is it triple slotted?  It looks strange in the picture, but the crown wheel screw is the typical triple slotted appearance to me.  However, it cannot hurt to try to coax it in the wrong direction gently.

RMD

Sometimes tightening can be an aid to loosening....as strange as it seems.once a screw is moved one way it can usually be moved the other...just don't go king kong on it

4 hours ago, clockboy said:

Its a reverse screw thread. In fact both screws shown are.

6 hours ago, JohnHutchins said:

Doesn't the triple slot screw indicate that it is reverse threaded and requires unscrewing in a clockwise direction?

Oh I see that I was unscrewing in the wrong direction..

Actuallly I tried both directions but unscrewing clockwise is difficult because the rachet wheel moves as I try to unscrew the 

rachet wheel screw since the click does not lock in that direction.

Is there an effective way to unscrew it??

Edited by east3rn

You have to block the ratchet wheel with a block of wood..

On this movement Citizen marked the wheel with 3 lines as per industry practice but on earlier ones they (both) are not.

Nice movement, I particularly like how smooth it winds.

Anilv

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

... and of course putting it back together.

Finally for those of you with a strong stomach, this is what can happens if you drop your watch on to a hard surface.

RIMG1099.thumb.JPG.e51bb5c9fea0c6d33c42f6cbd37ca6c3.JPGRIMG1101.thumb.JPG.b74d443e5c5a5db3a274b7e60d8b4725.JPG

I include these pics, because this is a very similar HMT/Citizen movement. 

That poor shattered barrel bridge is not happy, nor is the folded fourth wheel. I think I will have my work cut out getting this going again.