Vintage oilers - how do these operate?

Blubarb

I came across these vintage oilers and unsure of the markings and how to use.  There is an opening channel at the tip of the needle which I assume allows oil stored in the tube to flow.   

Thanks

IMG_3483.JPG

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

Edited by Blubarb

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

They are called Glass Fountain Oilers.

Older watchmakers mostly use fountain oilers. They use the principles of capillary action to draw a small amount of oil out of the tube (like a fountain pen).

not gravity or capillary,    with a rubber tube, in your mouth,  the was pushed oil into the jewel.  older jewelers concitered better than the pump style.   keep them,  they are valuable.  vin

• Like 1

Thank you for that helpful information that lead me to the NWCC Forum where I found this:  "To fill these oilers you need a small rubber hose that fits over the class tube. Place the hose on the end where the needle is,then place the other end in your oil bottle and suck on the hose. This will draw the oil into the glass tube. Don't fill the tube completely full. A small amount will last a long time. You can store the oiler laying flat in a dark place like a drawer of your watch bench."  Not sure how you "place the hose where the needle is...then place the other end in the oil bottle then suck on the hose"   I take this to mean suck on the glass tube to draw the oil into the tube? Agree? 

Edit:  Found this on WUS:  "In the past you could get glass "fountain" oilers. These are a blown glass tube with a very fine steel capillary in the end. They are about three inches long, and are filled by putting the tip down in an oil bottle and sucking on the open end of the tube. I have used these type oilers, but much prefer the control offered by a set of good dip oilers. "

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 10.46.12 PM.jpg

Edited by Blubarb
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...