At last - out of the kitchen, into my new shop.

JohnHutchins

26 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

That’s a nice bright workshop. I would get rid of the rug. You can’t find dropped parts on that.

I'm in two minds about that. If you have a wood or laminate floor, then you do get the "joy" of hearing the part strike the surface and shoot off in a random direction, invariably the opposite one to the one your ears perceive,  however a rug at least halts small things relatively quickly, but they have then to be coaxed gently out of the pile, assuming the rug doesn't simply digest them instantly.  

I was uncertain about the rug - perhaps that was a bad decision.  I decided to try it because it has a very tight weave so I hope parts will not become imbedded and lost.  Andy Hull raises an interesting point to debate - a rug may have some virtue in preventing parts from shooting "off in a random direction."

13 minutes ago, JohnHutchins said:

I was uncertain about the rug - perhaps that was a bad decision.  I decided to try it because it has a very tight weave so I hope parts will not become imbedded and lost.  Andy Hull raises an interesting point to debate - a rug may have some virtue in preventing parts from shooting "off in a random direction."

phhht, only matters if you're clumsy and drop things <full sarcasm mode off>  I so frequently drop things it makes me crazy.  I've a bench with glass back top and sides as well as the cloth pull out tray, but it still doesn't save me from my clumsiness.  I have to develop a lot more skills before I'd be able to have a carpeted floor

very nice work area, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Edited by measuretwice
  • Like 1