Here is a horror for you.

oldhippy

I really like the description of “For Restoration”? restoration isn't's quite perhaps the right word for this. Maybe it is the right word but bits and pieces that may or may not actually go together don't always make for restoration. Then the dial being brass? I'm not a clock person but isn't that supposed to be a silver dial or specifically silver over brass that is now missing the silver perhaps? Either that or there's a heck of a lot of dust giving a silver look but almost looks like a somebody attempted to polish the dial unsuccessfully.

It what is known as a marriage? The case has been married to the movement or the other way round. They both never started out like this. The case is for an arched dial clock and movement. The movement is a square brass dial and a 30 hour movement. The seat board is new and does not match. I do not like the pendulum rod, by the looks of it I cannot see that going through the gap in the crutch. £250 is a waste of money.

Also the pendulum rod is wrong, but I see the original seems to be taped to the bit of wood.

I could see it was a 30 hour movement and I guessed the case was wrong as the big empty oval bit of glass above the dial was a bit of a give away of a marriage of the case and movement.

I would love the movement to restore, but not at £250

I can see it needs new black wax applied to the dial and resilvering, new chain, new lead 'donut, new hour hand, pulley refurbished.

Obviously a good cleaning, probably a number of bushes and the pendulum rod looked at.

If you were paying to have someone do that I could see that costing more than £250, but my time on projects for me I don't count.

I already have everything to resilver a dial (just need a dial to practice on) cast brass rod for using for bushes in English long case clocks. A new lead 'donut' for the chain and a spare period pendulum bob, and lots of taper pins. So unless I am missing something I would only need to sort out the pendulum rod and a new set of hands although I doubt I could find ones as nice as the original set.

I own 3, 30 hour English movements 2 with painted dials, one of which is good enough to still be used even though it is showing its age, just need to find the time to start on them.

I like the simplicity of the 30 hour longcase movements and the fact that they would of all been made by hand without even an electric light bulb in the workshop.

I have done some more research on this clock.  

James Askrigg  1746 – 1781 is recorded in Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World vol 2

This dial dates from 1750 upwards, the give away is the tail on the number 5, it is long and curved and I expect the dial size to be 12’’. The hands are original. The case dates around 1800 due to the width of the trunk and the size of the door.  

A clock in this condition I would expect the pivots, pinions, pallets and possibly wheel teeth to be worn. The pulley wheel would have taken most of the wear so I expect new spikes will be needed.   

• 3 weeks later...