Casio MTD1054 Super Illuminator ceased working

Lucan

I have a Casio MTD-1054 Super Illuminator which has ceased working. I have put a fresh battery in and the lights work fine, so no issue with battery/connection, but the hands aren't moving at all. I have opened up the back to give photos in case that is any way helpful. I have read that some similar models have one battery for the light and one for the watch, but I can't see a second battery.

So two questions really:

1. Any ideas what has gone wrong? Is it simply the 'movement' has expired?
  2. If the movement has expired, is replacing it doable? I really like this watch, even though it's one of my most inexpensive.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

IMG_9563.JPG

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9565.JPG

How old is the watch?

It is possible that the oil in the watch is starting to gum up.

One 'cheat' you can do on cheap quartz movements that arent worth the time to service is to hold them over a demagnatising machine and give the demagnatisor a short burst.

The magnetic field will cause the rotor in the watch to rotate very quickly causing the hands to move very fast.

If you are lucky this can be enough to free up the watch se it keeps working for a while longer, but don't do this on an expensive quartz watch.

I'm guessing you don't have access to a quartz watch tester that can tell you if the electronics are alive.

6 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

How old is the watch?

It is possible that the oil in the watch is starting to gum up.

One 'cheat' you can do on cheap quartz movements that arent worth the time to service is to hold them over a demagnatising machine and give the demagnatisor a short burst.

The magnetic field will cause the rotor in the watch to rotate very quickly causing the hands to move very fast.

If you are lucky this can be enough to free up the watch se it keeps working for a while longer, but don't do this on an expensive quartz watch.

I'm guessing you don't have access to a quartz watch tester that can tell you if the electronics are alive.

I'm unsure of the age of the watch as purchased on ebay second-hand a few years ago.

I have neither a Quartz tester nor a demagnatisor I'm afraid!

I have been asked to repair Casio watches before and you will find Casio movements and replacement parts are difficult to find. It might be possible to find a replacement movement but you will have to take lots of measurements, such as the overall height the position of the calendar ring. I do have quartz tester that has a function that spins the hands & sometimes this frees up the movement. Some quartz movements require a re-set to get them running after a new battery but not sure about Casio. 

A kill it or cure it method is to remove the battery and spray the movement with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner.it should wash out any dirt that could be hanging up the movement...I have got a couple of old pulsars to work like this....but remember my warning...

Kill it or cure it. Let it dry very very well before battery is replaced.

Whereabouts in the world are you ?  Maybe there is someone nearby with a quartz movement tester / demagnetiser who would be willing and able to offer some advice once the problem is a little better identified? 

I am near Maidstone in Kent UK and would be willing to help.