Clock mainspring winders

watchweasol

Hi Nad  There are no plans as such just cobbled together the machine from scrap timber and bits and pieces as I didn't feel like shelling out £350 plus for a shop bought unit, the only major expense were the retaining shells bought from America (timesavers) I have roughed out some drawings for you if you can mail me your address I will post them on to you.  have a look on the net for Joe Collins spring winder. It was originly designed for 400 day clocks but by changing the design to suit it will be suitable for all clocks

DSCF2939.JPG

DSCF2937.JPG

DSCF2930.JPG

DSCF2931.JPG

DSCF2929.JPG

DSCF2932.JPG

• Like 1

I have a nice French Strike on a bell that keeps stopping that i need to sort out. Some time back I also bought a lathe a Unimat 3 with the milling attachment. This will be used to make the clock bushes and to sort out the pivots and screws. So I'll be getting my hands dirty.

5 stars for your ingenuity watchweasol.....Perhaps not as pretty as one you might purchase but hey You made it yourself and to me that goes way above fancy priced tools doing the same job. I have several projects in the pipeline which I am working on at present. Designing and making tools or 'Fettling' and improving sub standard items gives me as much pleasure as using them

Hi Chrisdt  Yep not pretty but the idea was more functional In that it allows you to free the spring safely and then by reversing the barrel in the clamp tighten up and remove the retainer then let down the spring under control  no gloves!  I still have all my fingers and the thing works for most clocks. The Ollie Baker looks good and the price matches the looks, the Webster is the same