Platax tool question

So I was removing a balance staff with broken pivots, btw hi I’m new here but not new... I read this forum all the time and received marks certifications in servicing and fault finding.. the watch I’m working on is an old omega 30T2. So, the roller removal went perfectly, I flipped the balance wheel over and lined it all up in the correct hole and all it did was break the staff up to the wheel and flatten where the sink is. I can push the stake no further. So, I’m guessing it’s jeweling tool time? If so should I use the pointy rivots, or a conical shaped thingy to get the rest out? 

Any advice would be most appreciated! Huge Thanks to you all for just reading so many different questions and answers on here has helped me so much in the past that I haven’t had to post much!!

I know this is a silly question but are you sure you are using the tool correctly?

if you look at Mark's video he makes it look really really simple and that's why he's using the tool. So if it didn't go that smoothly why not?

I've attached an image of how the staff is supposed to be in the tool when you're attempting to drive it out. So the hole needs to be sufficiently big to allow the staff to clear. You should be resting on the shoulder the pivot. The whole thing does have to be in alignment. Then light taps are required if you really have to start hammering on it then you have a problem and this isn't the way to take the staff out. This is where it be helpful to have a lathe you can either weaken the rivets or cut the hub off.

For clarification it would be nice to have a picture of what's left?  if you couldn't get the staff out with the tool and it did break like you said attempting to drive out the rest of it probably isn't going to be in your best interest. If you're not careful you're going to end up bending the arms distorting the hole or something much worse like basically destroying the balance wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIQvAm4GC5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlA49SmNMZM

staff-out.JPG

• 1 month later...

Yes I watched his videos like a hawk and repeated the steps he took bit by bit. I didn’t have the hammer he had though so I used a rubber mallet.. that could be where the mistake was made. I have found though, through life in general and in every subject of practice, that the professional always makes it look easy. One shouldn’t expect to get it right every try when just starting. Anyhow, I bought that hammer and I never did get to remove that balance staff from that wheel completely, but I had another scraper and I was able to remove the staff correctly AND I reaffixed a staff to a balance with a (new to me) staking set that puts my old K&D to shame! I was in the basement where my work area is screaming YES YES YES and doing the body motions to follow.. well, my husband snuck down, took video with his cell and sent it to my closest friends... high five! 

I did that yes yes yes dance for a few minutes.. I was so excited.. and the yes dance was done with a loupe in my eye! 

Well I think that it’s only fair we see the video of your victory dance!
[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk