Repair Michael Kors Mk3248 Watch

Hello.

A few weeks ago, my watch got broken.

Please see this image:

uTz5eiH.jpg

It's not possible to put it back in, because it wont allow you to change date (it can still be taken out as well).. This happend when I tried to change the time of the watch.

Any clues?

What can I do to fix it? Is it easy to fix?

Hi Robin, Welcome to the forum.

I believe this problem is either the keyless works (mechanism that winds and set the watch) that got out of "alignment" (can't find another word to describe it: lever not grabbing the clutch, etc) or the tip of the stem (can't see it well from the pic) broke inside.

First check that the stem is not broken. If not, best way is to take the movement out and check the keyless works! Might be an involved procedure for a starter hobbyist. Also being a small watch and probably quartz there are other issues that might complicate matters, eg. very small parts, etc.

When I see quartz, sometimes I think, "not expensive = get new movement" (comes with new stem, etc: stem (alone) = US$5 vs. movement (with stem and new battery) = US$8) and you get to play with the whole thing (tempting) but I admit that in this case you might not need to (and the movement might be more expensive).

Edited by bobm12

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your watch, the tip of the stem is broken off inside the watch. It should be an easy fix unless something inside has jammed and caused the damage to the stem. Unless the watch is opened, there's no way to tell.

Thank you both...

I would guess the same, that there is a piece of it stuck inside, that won't get out. I tried to open the watch, but unfortunately, I don't have any "watch tools" (like, special tools for watches). And to open this watch, you have to screw the back off. Seems like I will have to buy some special tool to open it then..

What do you say?

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you do need the right tools for the job. To open the case back you will need a Jaxa wrench and a movement holder. For the internals a set of watchmakers screwdrivers and tweezers. If your not sure what to do watch some of Marks videos, buy some cheap scrap watches from fleabay or the local charity shop and have a go at them before attempting to repair this watch. 

alternatively, you can make do with a digital caliper using it as a "wrench" to unscrew the back. Still I would first get some appropriate tools and do as Blacklab says since you don't want to spoil this nice watch.

To be honest Robin for a first timer this is reasonably complicated. However, in stages it is possible. I am not familiar with the movement but to understand the problem have a look at marks video about removing stems from watches. Your stem has come out because the end looks like it has broken off and if you are lucky enough to get the remnant out without having to dismantle part of the movement then you would need to purchase a new stem then insert it perhaps having to cut it to the correct length (unless it is supplied at the correct length) before removing the crown from the old stem then affixing it to the new one and finishing off by reinserting the stem into your watch for the fix.

All of this is possible in stages and the people on the forum would help with advice if you post a pic of each stage. A lot depends on taking your time and getting the right tools. Can I ask if you are interested in watch repair generally or do you really only want to fix this watch.

Cheers, Vic

• Like 1

alternatively, you can make do with a digital caliper using it as a "wrench" to unscrew the back.

Bob, I agree with most things you suggest, but I strongly disagree with the above suggestion. I would not recommend anyone use digital calipers as a wrench, unless it is broken and not serviceable as a measuring instrument. If you do, you will more than likely damage the anvils an ruin it as a precision instrument.

Geo, that is correct I was offering a solution for a makeshift tool (Robin doesn't have any).

I've never done it myself but I've known of people doing so with old calipers they don't care or use anymore. Some even swear by the improvised tool and choose it with preference. Again, I can't say much since I haven't use this solution myself and probably never will. As prices go today, a caliper can be obtained for a very small price (if you are not too picky). :)

Edited by bobm12

Vernier calipers would flex too much and the potential to injure yourself is high!

You're better off getting a cheap adjustable spanner (those with side-jaws better) and spending a few minutes with a grinder (bench or angle) on the jaws. Won't last long but fine for a hobbyist.

The important part is making sure the watch is held securely... if you have a basic workshop then you can rig something up using blocks of wood and a vise. Don't use the strap to hold the watch against the turning of the wrench... the strap pins are the weak points.. if the case is base metal (not stainless steel) you may even rip out the holes where the pins go and that would be the end for the watch.

Anil

Can I ask if you are interested in watch repair generally or do you really only want to fix this watch.

Cheers, Vic

Interested or not... Well, I just want to fix this watch, because I was told it will take 6 weeks to repair it in a shop (yes, asked more than one store). And my girlfriend wants it fixed quicker. That's why I came up with the solution of fixing it myself. :-) I build computers on my own, so I hope I will be able to fix a watch... Else I will be very disappointed of myself... ;-)

Edited by Robinjoeh

Very good point Anil, essential to hold the watch firmly and properly!!

Oh I don't mind Geo, as a matter of fact I appreciate the engineer in you and the excellent insight you always provide. Quite essential in this hobby my friend!

Robin, I wish you the best of luck and will also recommend -- like everyone so far -- a good set of tools so you won't get discouraged on account of substandard stuff that may not work well.

We have a thread discussing tools too. Make sure you browse through it to get an idea. Good luck in your project!

Yea, I actually ended up purchasing a whole set of tools ("watch tool set"). So I think I've got all tools needed for this job now, lets see if I'm right.

I was able to unscrew the back of the watch using the wrench, and here's how it looks now:

Ww6xsyJ.jpg

The white circle that I made is a point where I can see the stem go (when I move it in/out).

Sooo, my question, would of course be: How shall I proceed?

I would hope that you would have found the bit we thought was missing off the end of the stem.  In general a stem looks something like this:

rolex-watch-stems-replacements-stem-size

If you compare that to yours it seemed to us that a bit is missing off the end.  It would be good to find that bit.  If it is kicking round inside the movement it could be a problem.  If it is still located then it will prevent you pushing the new stem in - my first impression is that it is not still located but heaven knows where it has gone if it has indeed gone.  If you have had a look at Marks vids about stem removal then it will direct you to the  place on your watch that says "push" and has a little arrow indicating what to push, this may need to be pushed gently to release any bit still lodged in or to push a new stem in, but to be more sure we would need a close up pic of the stem and crown out of the watch.

The square bit on the end of the stem fits through some crowns or cogs that turn the pointers.  The place on the stem in between the square bit and the screw thread is where the stem is held in and you gently push down where indicated to release the stem which normally comes out whole, in your case your stem is already loose lending creedence to the idea that the missing bit is still in there (unless it has dropped out already) if it has dropped out of the watch the next step would be a new stem.  It may be that a new stem might fit in with no further work - if you are lucky.

I regret that there are a few scenarios here but we will take them one at a time.

If you find a new stem will not go in then you may have to remove the plate on the top hopefully it lifts straight off when the screws are undone but never having worked on one I honestly don't know.  With that plate off you may get a clear view of the place the stem should go into.

If you do have to remove the movement don't forget about the push buttons that will need to be eased back and of course  the stem should be out, It may be possible to turn the watch movement around once it is out to see if anything drops out.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Vic has described the scenario very well. I feel the broken part will still be located inside the movement, and suggest that you try pushing the stem release while gently tapping the watch (crown down) with a block of wood to try and dislodge the broken part. If this doesn't work partial disassembly will be required.

Vic has described the scenario very well. I feel the broken part will still be located inside the movement as it should still be locked in place. I suggest that you try pushing the stem release while gently tapping the watch (crown down) with a block of wood to try and dislodge the broken part. If this doesn't work partial disassembly will be required.

I think this is what a correctly located stem looks like and you can not see  the end of the stem really.  I fear that unless as George suggests the thing drops out then an element of dismantling will be required.  What worries me is that the front may have to come off to get at the keyless work.  But the back plate removal may let you see something.  If it was a mechanical watch though I reckon the front would have to come off.

$T2eC16N,%21y8E9s2filI5BSPn+Fch4w~~60_57

Edited by Vich