Repair Michael Kors Mk3248 Watch

Hello Robin,

I posted the PDF for your movement on this thread about 1/11 and page 8 gives the instructions for affixing the hands. I see that it says to put on the hands with the movement out of the case and resting on a solid metal block. It may be to allow more pressure to be applied to the pinion head whilst it receives solid support at the other end. I know this to be the case for other watches I have worked on as well.

Hope this helps,

Vic

Hello Robin,

I had exactly the same problem with a rotary, I used a hands broaching vice and a very fine needle I nicked from my wife's sewing kit. I had broken the pinions on the small dials by applying too much pressure on one side instead of using a presto style tool which pulls them upwards in a more even fashion. I had to use a microscope just to see to be able to see the pinion stuck in the "pipe" and the very top of the needle. You also run the risk of making the pipe slightly larger if you push the needle too far in and this also happened to me but I manged to slightly crush the pipe with nail clippers and it went back on. If you trace "broken pinion" in help and advice there may be something to help.

I was at one time going to get replacement hands but originals were not to be found, the next best was to purchase the same style from the likes of Cousins. However I was lucky as my scope arrived at that point and I retrieved the broken pinion. You will need the hand size which you can get if you find the PDF for your movement. I will have a look and post it if found.

Cheers,

Vic

Right, I thought of buying a microscope as well, but it costs pretty much, that's why I thought of buying replacement hands instead... But of course, it seems like I wont find any.

Hello Robin,

I posted the PDF for your movement on this thread about 1/11 and page 8 gives the instructions for affixing the hands. I see that it says to put on the hands with the movement out of the case and resting on a solid metal block. It may be to allow more pressure to be applied to the pinion head whilst it receives solid support at the other end. I know this to be the case for other watches I have worked on as well.

Hope this helps,

Vic

I know you did post the manual, and I checked it. How should I put the hands on if the movement and watch are separated? I won't be able to put it back together then? However, I'm pretty sure that there's metal stuck inside the pipe, as I have learned that using force when you work with watches is not the best idea.....

PS I note that the PDF does not ( unlike miyota) give hand sizes, the pipe size on the hands I put on was 0.2 mm but yours could of course be different.

Correct, I was unable to find it as well... This watch world is a complete lottery. :-(

I think this PDF gives the hand sizes : https://www.flume.de/files/0000003305.pdf

Page 7

I think you will find all the part references as well, hopefully

Cheers, Vic

Sorry I should have put 17 not 7

So you suggest that I should buy something that is tiny enough to fit inside the pipe? (and by doing so the existing broken part will fall out)

Sorry that I was not clear, I suggest the use of a fine needle tip to remove any remnant of stem left in the pipe - it worked for me. If you can not achieve that then I suggest you attempt to source a new original hand for any that are unusable but if that is not possible then purchase a generic hand finding out the length and pipe size by referring to the PDF or a gauge.

Cheers,

Vic

Sorry that I was not clear, I suggest the use of a fine needle tip to remove any remnant of stem left in the pipe - it worked for me. If you can not achieve that then I suggest you attempt to source a new original hand for any that are unusable but if that is not possible then purchase a generic hand finding out the length and pipe size by referring to the PDF or a gauge.

Cheers,

Vic

We have a few needles, but they're all larger than the pipe.... To find that out, I bet I must buy new ones first.

Hello Robin,

The needle I used would not fit through the pipe but the very point of the needle went in just far enough to push out the piece of pinion. It was a very fine needle I nicked from my wife's collection.

Cheers, Vic

Alright guys, everything finally got fixed. I was not able to use a needle, as it was too big (went to the store and tried buy new needles as well). I found something even smaller in the store (sewing store), but I'm not not sure what it's called in English.

But thanks all for your help :)

Outstanding Robin, I think it's fair to say you had a difficult task for your first job and passed with flying colours. The important thing is to persevere and the lads on the forum appreciate that and will always try to help.

Cheers,

Vic

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys,

I know this is re firing an old thread but I too had the same problem and the stem snapped but thanks to Vic I have ordered a replacement stem. The difficult part is getting the broken part out of the crown! Any suggestions the stem is threaded so I'm assuming it just unscrews but I was wondering is it also glued in?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Hello Craig,

There is a lot of info on the forum about getting stems out of Crowns. Like George says check the threads but be careful if you are trying to dissolve it out as you will read that a lot depends upon what the crown is made of and it is a tad embarrassing to dissolve the crown itself.

A lot depends upon how much is left in the crown to get hold of and you are correct in thinking that Loctite may have been used. Never forget to try the judicious application of a bit heat but again it depends on the Crown and what it is made of.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cleaned tip of a soldering iron is useful for direct transference of heat to small parts. Make sure there are no grommets or seals therein though.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

• 5 months later...

I apologise in advance for jumping on this topic but it seems to almost fir the problem I too am having with my wife's Michael Kors watch.

She was setting the time one day and the stem came clean out. We brought it to a jewellers who sent it away to be repaired. Many many weeks later they gave us a quote of £90 to fix! Now I have an interest in watches and have always wanted to start somewhere in terms of taking one apart and reconditioning it. I had always thought it would be an old manual wind mechanical but as the opportunity presented itself, it is now a cheap quartz.

I read through this topic while we were waiting for the watch to be returned and I thought the problems would match perfectly. However after receiving back the watch, removing the case back and examining the stem...the stem seems to be entirely intact. It matches the drawing from the technical guide posted here.

So now my problem is...why won't the stem 'click' back into position? And how did it fall out in the first place? I have tried pushing it back in while the release button is pressed but it simply wont click into place.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be? I am prepared to buy and install a new movement but I would much rather have a crack at repairing the watch first.

Thanks for any replies, I hope I have explained the problem clearly enough!

Hi dunnem8,

this problem is actually related to the keyless works which is the mechanism that controls time setting (I'm trying to be as concise as possible). If you press down on the "release" button to remove the stem/crown thing, you may run into problems by juggling parts out of place. This is a "gentle" touch part!. By the same token, pushing down to insert the stem is also a problem. Most movements don't require pushing down on the button to insert the stem. It is a learned skill and mainly by touch I guess.

So, the problem I can think of according to the description of the problem is something out of place in the keyless works and/or a broken part that should either be replaced or the movement -- as you said -- changed. It depends of skills, complexity of the job and/or cost.

In fact, if the movement is not too expensive -- being quartz -- I would replace it and use the old one as a training movement to get my feet wet into watchmaking...even though quartz is not necessarily the best way to start this hobby.

I hope this helps and answers your question.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Welcome to the Forum!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome and the great reply! I think you are right, I pushed without much care or grace thinking this is a robust enough part of the watch where the stem will click into place. I may (definitely) have been too heavy handed though.

I like the suggestion of replacing the movement and then having a poke (gently this time) around the old one. I can get a new movement for around £27 which will hopefully last long enough.

Thanks again  for the help,

Mark

• 3 years later...

Similar deal, sorry. 
Did not know that the “push” was allowing the stem to come out. So I took all the screws out of the metal covering. Once all the guts fell out, the stem came out. I fixed what needed fixed and reassembled the watch. Now the stem comes in and out with ease, doesn’t lock into place. And when I pull it out slightly, as they usually allow, the date clicks to change but the hour/minute hands don’t move. And when a battery is in, the secondary second hand (stopwatch dial) will tick but the main second hand will not. Not sure what I did. Any help please. 
Thank you 

Probably what has happened is that when you put it back together the setting piece is not engaged with the stem or the nib is broken off, when you "push" the setting piece is disengeged allowing the stem to be removed.   Can you post pictures of the rear of the movement without the back on  and also the make and caliber number usually on the plate or near the balance if its a mechanical watch              cheers

Take a look at these. Should be correct from what I’ve found online and can remember from when I took it apart. 
Also, on the stem, do I have the green gear and the tiny metal sleeve going the proper way (teeth on sleeve towards green cog)?

52BC95A2-0405-4B9B-B088-53B92427DAD3.jpeg

915EEBDC-9583-4C6E-98E0-ADB5C955D32D.jpeg

3AE9F73F-3E3A-4ADF-B24F-D41EA706804A.jpeg

• Similar Content