Re-jewel or resize pivots?

After a years hiatus from my watch project(renovated house after tenants from hell) I find I have to put in my third balance staff. This is on my 1892 model Waltham pocket watch by the way...

The second balance staff went well,except I kept dropping it on the floor and bent the pivot. My attempts to straighten were to no avail. So I have sourced another staff. The problem with this staff is the pivots are 13 size instead of the 11 they should be. I have a Seitz jeweling tool as well as a nice Jacot tool. So my question is, leave the pivots alone and put in new balance jewels or turn down the pivots with the Jacot tool. What is the accepted practice? My first attempts with the Jacot tool brought mixed results. I found my new pivot file/burnisher very quickly took the bent pivot from 11 size to a 9 very quickly. 

Waiting for my bench practices book to arrive...

Ron

Ron it is what you are are confident with.Changing the jewels is relatively easy and reversible if it does not work. However if it was me I would adjust the staff using a jacot tool or the easiest option is to purchase then correct staff and keep or sell on the wrong staff. 
What fun.:)

• Like 2

I guess if you put these in order of risk from least to most then it's

1 - Find the correct staff.

2 - Replace the jewels.

3 - Modify the staff

But then again, as a learner, I like to challenge myself to take the more risky option in order to gain experience. But of course that can be an expensive choice.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, margolisd said:

I guess if you put these in order of risk from least to most then it's

1 - Find the correct staff.

2 - Replace the jewels.

3 - Modify the staff

But then again, as a learner, I like to challenge myself to take the more risky option in order to gain experience. But of course that can be an expensive choice.

Hi, I would 1,3,2 you should keep it as standard as possible

Regards Kaz