6497/6498 in a pocket watch case - What dial?

Many videos recommend a 6497/6498 as your first movement to practice on because they are larger, more in line with the size of a pocket watch movement.  So I thought "Well, if my first project is going to be with a pocket watch-size movement, I should probably build a pocket watch."  

As I was making a parts list for the project, I realized all the dials I found have the stem at 3:00.  A true pocket watch has the stem at 12:00.  

Am I just not looking hard enough to find the right dials, or do all 6497/6498 compatible dials have the stem at 3:00?

Am I correct when I say that the 6498 has the stem at 3:00 and the second hand at 9:00 while the 6497 has the stem at 12:00 and the second hand at 6:00?

If so then that is probably where I'm making my mistake...

Hi,  Your best bet is to keep radar on for a wacth sold for parts or repair, So to make a good watch out of the best parts of the two. Advantages are;

1. You have time to find the answers, learn more about the piece.

2. You wouldn,t have to pay expensively for individual parts

3. You end up with extra parts for spare or sale.

Google will tell you lots about it. Dr ranfft and the like.

Some hunters versions made by unitas were fitted with porcelain dial, some dials got no feet. Later version perhaps made by ETA.

Collecting thought me to get several of the same needing work. You will do much better with your second project if one of the same or same family as Similar ones on your bench are actual diagrams and answers to some questions.

4. You will be in a postion to help others.

Second lesson I learned is to take and archive pictures at each stage of strip down. 

Regards joe.