harbor freight calipers

yankeedog

Up here in the great white north, Princess Auto is the Harbour Freight equivalent. I bought a cheap set with the plastic jaws. thought they would be good for measuring case lug openings and such without marking things up scratch wise. they were simply pathetic to say the least. I never expected to measure pivots with them of course, but the sad little things couldn't measure a lug opening with any sort of repeatability :thumbsd:

rduckwor is right, money gets you quality. I have a bench mic and digital calipers and a hand mic that are accurate to a hundredth of a mm all day long. But they cost me a hundred dollars each. Nothing worse than having three different measurements for one pivot. You might as well guess at that point.

Ron

Edited by 94marconi
spelling

Some of the Chinese calipers apparently are pretty good, these days. But I have no idea which ones are which. I have Mitutoyo that are 17 years old, use a battery about once every 3 years, and check out spot on on gage blocks still after all those years of daily use. Works out pretty cheap.

I had an older chinese digital one. It was consistent and accurate until the module went out. So I bought this one thinking it would be "good enough" . not even close.I have some older mitutoyo and simonds micrometers and somewhere and old mitutoyo dial caliper...guess i need to find it !