rduckwor

Hello all, I have been thru all three of Mark's courses and have stripped and rebuilt a number of older Elgin and a few Seiko movements.  I'm working my way towards my old Seiko chrono acquired in the Republic of Colombia in 1971.  I thoroughly enjoy the watch trade and it has provided a nice diversion since retirement as a surgical consultant.  I still miss surgery, but not as much as I did before I began learning about watches.  Thank you in advance for the questions I am certain you will answer for me.

Best,

RMD

22 hours ago, phydaux said:

I would love to read your impression of watchmaking vs surgery, in regard to both of them involving using instruments to manipulate very fine & delicate things.  

Phydaux:  Similar disciplines, though with different responsibilities. 

Surgeons are arrogant people; the ego goes with the territory.  When you take people apart and put them back together, you HAVE to believe in your capabilities; a big ego covers many doubts in oneself.  Watch makers should be equally as arrogant though.  They do something that 99.99999% of the world's population cannot do.

The watch repair efforts have retaught me patience.  Something i desperately needed to regain.  Watchmakers/repairers are just like surgeons, diagnosing the issues and planning and executing a solution.

Best to all,

RMD

One of my favorite examples of surgeon's thinking & God Complex comes from the old TV show MASH:

"I always knew I was going to be a surgeon.  When I was a child I used to dissect frogs."

"Lots of kids dissect frogs."

"Yes, but I could put them back together."

• Haha 1