New to the hobby

phydaux

Hello.  My name is Dan and I live in New Hampshire, USA.  That's about 45 miles outside of Boston.

I'm new to tinkering with watches, but I'm slowly building my collection of books and tool.  My plan is to eventually build at least two watches from parts sourced off of the internet.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Welcome from Australia, be warned you will never have enough books or tools. There will always be another one you want.

Yeah, even my list of "just starting out" tools has grown to ~$500.  But to be fair that includes both a timing machine and an ultrasonic cleaning machine.

And my book list has around 20 titles in it, many out of print.  

Add in around $400 in parts "just to noodle around with" and I'll be just about ready for the various video subscription courses I've identified.

there is a catch 22 with the hobby.... which is the wide range of prices and types to go after.  They can distract from the goal. 

So buy enough to get started and get your hands on a few non runners just to practice on.  As you get along,  than pickup the tools and other goodies to advance.