pocket watches

Hello all,

Lately I have been looking online at older pocket watch movements, they are available uncased for very little and many are truly works of art.I am guessing that many of their cases were scrapped years ago for their gold or silver content.I see no reason why functional ones could not be made into working timepieces. I hate the thought of such marvelous machines being made into steampunk baubles. Could any of you share an opinion on how to go about this?

Henry

Well, it is possible. However you would have to learn how to make hands, a dial and the watch case. If you are really serious George Daniels book on Watchmaking has a whole chapter on making watchcases covering forming, soldering and whatnot. Also includes information on making hands and dials in other chapters.   

If I was you I would start by leaning how to make cases as many old watch moments out there still have a dial and hands attached. I would start using copper sheet and bar stock to make cases with as it is similar to working with silver or gold and will save you lots of money when starting out. You will need access to a decent sized lathe to make the forming tools and to machine the cases once formed.    

This website also has good information: https://watchmaking.weebly.com/casemaking.html

Good luck on your adventure and keep us posted.