Seiko 7L22 Kinetic movement info.

ausimax

I am looking for Info/help with a Seiko 7L22 movement, I acquired one in excellent condition however the stem pulls out when you go to set the time, and when it is pushed back in will not restart the movement.
I thought I had it sorted, but it is a continuing problem, so it seems something is amiss in the keyless works, I have the parts and service sheet for the movement and looking through them it seem to access the keyless works you have to almost completely disassemble the whole shebang, including the train bridge.

Can anyone confirm that this the case? Or is there an easier way to achieve this?

The service sheets say that it is difficult to service this caliber without the special movement holder without damaging it, I can see it would be touchy especially refitting the chrono hands, all in all looks like a **BLEEP** to work on, the train seems to have more wheels than a 747 and is an area I am not keen to delve into.

If anyone has photos of a stripdown of this movement it would be helpful the exploded views in the service sheets leave a little to be desired in clarity.

Does anyone have have the Seiko special holder for this movement? I have not been successful in tracking one down, if you do have one if you could provide some accurate measurements and photos I may be able to 3D print one.

This movement doesn’t even show up in Seiko list of tools, I have been searching the net, you tube and every other source I can think of, posted the query in several forums and got no replies, search of the net brings plenty of articles about the “Iconic 7L22 Movement” and other praiseworthy articles about it but nothing of use.

Any help will be much appreciate, particularly info on the special holder, I figure I am going to have to go cold turkey and just dive in and hope for the best. 

It just seems strange that so little info is available on this model/calibre, I know it is considered obsolete, but they are still selling them new out of Singapore, or somebody is into clones!

Seiko SNL001P1     7L22-0AA0

12Ey0nB.jpg

A few photos of the victim, from the scratches in the area of the stem release lever it seems somebody has had several attempts to fix it, a dodgy operation considering the proximity of the generating coil.

XO7IANy.jpg

usJkTZY.jpg

WzOOwcP.png

I have not worked on that particular movement but with most movements to need to access the keyless side to inspect why the stem is not performing correctly. You will have to remove the movement from it's case, remove the hands & dial. 

Thanks clockboy,

I have the service sheets for the movement, and it seems on this movement you have to access the keyless works from the going side of the movement, and it appears you have to remove the train bridge to get to them.

Trying to find something about the movement holder is my main worry. If I thought I could work from the back side without having to remove the dial and hands it would not be too bad, but the chrono seconds and minutes pinions have to be removed early in the process, and like the 6318/9 mechanical chrono's you need the special holder to avoid damage when refitting the chrono hands.

I'm with you, I have worked on quite a few quartz Chrono's, that doesn't mean I enjoy the operation, and this one looks like a real PIA all those pivots to try and get lined up, as well as the mechanical linkage for the chrono operation, and Dials and hands always brings sweat to the brow, to my mind the dial makes the watch and one slip - I can't bear to think about it!