bcpitch5

Help with MJ Tobias Pocket Watch

Question

Does anyone know anything about this watch. Just about all of the Tobias watches I've ever seen were the Swiss fakes with the generic bar movement. This one has a fancy balance wheel and full plate movement. Any help would be appreciated!

TobiasPW1.jpg

TobiasPW2.jpg

2 answers to this question

It’s a cylinder escapement. I have never seen such a decorative

balance wheel in such a movement as this. I can see the balance cock has a horrid screw and is it a washer? Holding the cock In place, I dread to think what damage it is causing. Odd screws holding the barrel plate. A movement that is at the low-end regards to quality. What is the dial like?  Some of that engraving looks a bit odd. The click and spring and the cover over the click are very well finished. 

I don't think its a fake.

On 10/30/2018 at 5:22 PM, oldhippy said:

It’s a cylinder escapement. I have never seen such a decorative

balance wheel in such a movement as this. I can see the balance cock has a horrid screw and is it a washer? Holding the cock In place, I dread to think what damage it is causing. Odd screws holding the barrel plate. A movement that is at the low-end regards to quality. What is the dial like?  Some of that engraving looks a bit odd. The click and spring and the cover over the click are very well finished. 

I don't think its a fake.

The decorative balance wheel is what threw me off too. The movement is basically trashed, the staff is broke and yes it looks like someone tried to do a bad patch job with a screw and washer. The dial is pretty plain and unmarked. I'll try to get some pictures of it posted and maybe pull it and see what's underneath.