Incabloc spring replacement

rduckwor

I have a nice AS 1746/47 movement I was servicing and when I attempted to remove the lower balance jewel for cleaning/oiling, the incabloc spring broke.  I've sourced the spring and removed the setting from the plate, but this is the devil trying to set the spring hinge into the setting.  Anyone have any tips that might make this a bit more successful?  Thanks,

RMD

1 hour ago, rduckwor said:

I have a nice AS 1746/47 movement I was servicing and when I attempted to remove the lower balance jewel for cleaning/oiling, the incabloc spring broke.  I've sourced the spring and removed the setting from the plate, but this is the devil trying to set the spring hinge into the setting.  Anyone have any tips that might make this a bit more successful?  Thanks,

RMD

This is one of the more fiddly tasks. It takes some practice before you can do it with tweezers.

When I was struggling to do it,  I put some Rodico just above where the spring goes - make a vertical surface.

Then stick the spring to it, so it's just above the slot.

I use some sharpened pegwood to push the bottom of the spring down in to the slot, whilst moving the top of the spring in to the correct angles using another piece of pegwood or tweezers.

With the spring held in the Rodico, it's easier to manipulate without it pinging off. 

Cap jewel tiddly-winks is another good game !

• Like 1

This is a real fiddly job. My tips are as follows very good magnification, the ideal is a microscope, demagnetise the spring and movement, absolutely well dressed tweezers and peg wood. If the first time experience I recommend putting the movement inside a clear bag because for sure the spring will fly off a few times before success. 

• Like 1

Can't be of much help myself as I still find this a difficult task; though I'm a lot better than when I started out.  So hang in there and don't get discouraged (advice really given to myself!).  I've tried the plastic bag approach but find it awkward to work with.  Seems like you have to cut out the bottom so each hand can enter the bag, right?  Also, I find that having the jewel setting in place before putting in the spring helps.  Even so, there are dozens of shock systems out there.  Incabloc is perhaps the best.