Pierce 134 / 130 Chronograph Servicing

jnash

I have a few of these watches and spare parts if have been hoarding, They have a vertical clutch system and use a rubber spacer that gets worn easily that is not available. a while ago i restored two of these however struggled to configure the chronograph due to the amount of tweaking that was required.

Once if get through a few jobs ive got to do (personal projects ) ill have a go and try again.. 

just wondered if anyone has worked with them, tricky little suckers!

Thanks

Jonathan

PierceChronoCalAngle.jpg

PierceChronoCalClose.jpg

Edited by jnash

That's a nice looking movement Jonathan. I've not worked on a Pierce, but I have worked on Landeron and Seiko movements. My preference is for the column wheel movements like the one you have here. If you don't already have one, acquire a book dedicated to chronograph movements, you'll find it invaluable.

Edited by Geo

Hi Geo

I have ample books for chronographs, they seem to be my choice. just wanted to see if there was anyone else i could rant with over the Pierce in house movement.  Seiko adapted this later on , i noticed that lots of watchmakers declined to work on these due to the configuration needed to set up.

It comes in a single and double pusher, 

Thanks 

Jonathan

As I only have two books that delve into the mysteries of chronographs, So I can't give a definitive best.

The best book that I have is 'Complicated Watches and their repair" by Donald de Carle F.B.H.I. This is an excellent book covering a whole array of complications from automatics to moon phase triple dates.

The other book only touches on them briefly and that is "Mechanical and Quartz Watch Repair" by Mick Watters F.B.H.I.

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

That Esembl-O-Graph link is is actually only 1 of a set of 28 volumes of which 2 are general to most chrono movements dealing with adjustments and repairs, and each of the remaining 26 is a detailed, blow by blow strip down of the chrono works of specific movements (including the Pierce 134). They even include a description of the function of each part, and oiling requirements. I bought a CD a while ago with all 28 volumes on it and find it an excellent resource, I would say that if you are into vintage chronographs then it's a must have. Search eBay for Esembl-O-Graph and you should be able to get it for less than £20.

• Like 1

That Esembl-O-Graph link is is actually only 1 of a set of 28 volumes of which 2 are general to most chrono movements dealing with adjustments and repairs, and each of the remaining 26 is a detailed, blow by blow strip down of the chrono works of specific movements (including the Pierce 134). They even include a description of the function of each part, and oiling requirements. I bought a CD a while ago with all 28 volumes on it and find it an excellent resource, I would say that if you are into vintage chronographs then it's a must have. Search eBay for Esembl-O-Graph and you should be able to get it for less than £20.

Yeah that's what I have, so invaluable

• 6 months later...

Hi JNash,

How did you get on with your service?

I have a single pusher version which I have been working on. Esembl-o-graph was invaluable to me, and I found with this that the adjustment of the chrono mechanism was pretty straightforward.

I had to make a new washer for the chrono clutch.  I broadly followed the advice from Roland Ranfft elsewhere on the net, who advised using a watch glass protector sticker.  I didn't have one of those but used a car windscreen sticker instead, and punched it out with a staking set.  Contrary to Roland's advice, I did find that the mechanism is sensitive to the thickness of this and ended up with a double thickness to get it to work, otherwise the minute advance lever on the chrono staff didn't engage with the minute wheel.

I found a brand new balance complete on Cousins website at a reasonable price, but they have limited other parts.  I'm still looking for a new regulator arm as mine really needs a new boot and curb pin, if anyone knows where I can lay my hands on one then I'd be very grateful as I can't regulate it properly at the moment.  Other than that it works fine...

Stuart

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, GleaveandCoLuke said:

Hi, does anyone have the chronograph.pdf attachment listed above.  Just doing some reseach into this calibre and can't find much on the internet for parts sheets etc.  Many Thanks.

I think the PDF was a reference to the Esemble-O-Graf service manual for the Pierce 134 (volume 15).  I did a bit of hunting on the internet and cannot find pdf's of the Esembl-O-Grafs anymore.  You can purchase them secondhand from eBay though.  I would suggest the CD version which has a PDF of each of the 28 volumes.

• 3 weeks later...