Looking into my bin of movements i noticed one still trying desperately to move. Looking a little rusted and worse for wear was a silvered dial Cupillard 233 movement ( 1935 ), no hands, poor dial, and a movement barely alive.
Normally i would not have bothered but i figured wth lets see if she can run well again
With some TLC and rust removed the movement swings into action with a beat error of 0.1ms no less and within 60 seconds a day, not bad for 85 year old scrapy rust bucket.
New original Cupillard hour & minute hands fitted ( yes i have some old stock ha ha) and a dial thats looking half decent now.
When i find time i might make a little case for her, and maybe even a strap if shes good
This is my latest project a rather neglected 3/4 Westminster probably dating from 1910-1920 and made by Winterhalder, case rather worse for wear, varnish crazed some minor splitting of the veneer, rear door catches and is hard to open, will strip, renew varnish, clean bezel, re-silver dial and bezel then laquer case, replace cloth and clean grill insert.
Movement will be totally stripped, re-bushed where needed, pivots burnished, mainsprings cleaned or replaced if needed.
Part on my new collection of approx. 15 movements which I bought on eBay two weeks ago.
I've selected this Avia vintage movement to test my new tools and knowledge gained from Youtube videos and books.
Sorry ... I've managed to upload images multiple times; asking for advice on how to edit the album so you don't have to suffer the same picture more than once...
This is my attempt at taking an MST-522 movement and with disparate parts ... make this into a watch. I've included hands I was debating using before settling on the set I thought looked best.
This is not meant to be an Omega anything! I just liked the blue dial that happens to have 'Omega' on it... and then thought it would look good with a blue case so then of course decided on a blue strap too! The watch has been going strong for the last few weeks since I cleaned and fixed it and keeps good time.
I am VERY new at all this though and still learning a lot!
Just completed my first restoration and service of a pocket watch. Carefully followed Mark's course videos for disassemble, inspection, ultrasonic clean, reassemble, oiled, regulated. New mainspring installed and a new crystal was required as the old one was deemed beyond repair.
The case now looks far better, I suspect the clock had been in a cellar or shed because of the amount of stains, paint and cracking to the surface finish, sometimes there is no option but to totally strip off the old Lacquer, any clock before 1930 is almost certainly going to have a shellac based lacquer it does not react well to being kept anywhere damp and will deteriorate quickly in such conditions.
The movement was in surprising sound condition under all the grime, I ran it for a week on my bench after cleaning, it kept stopping this I traced to insufficient tension on a spring on the Rack Hook which was causing it not to engage with the teeth on the rack correctly, causing the gathering pin to jam on the rack teeth and stopping the movement I shall now run it for a week as is and see if I encounter any more problems.The gongs hammers always require a lot of adjustment to get the best sound from the Gongs, who ever had serviced it before had the hammers in the wrong order, they are individually numbered so are easy enough to get right, its a process of trial and error adjusting and there's always one gong that insists on sounding flat but I have managed to get a pleasant tone from them.